Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, so I've gotten some good advice in the other thread, so I'm gonna go ahead and have this guy put in a new trans for me.

Only problem now is finding the right one.

My 96 OBW 2.2 has a MFG date of 11/95 and trans # TY752VABCA. This isn't on the chart. However, the one that is listed as the right trans for that model year is listed as "ABBA." Pretty damn close. Seems like a typo maybe? If so, then it seems to have the exact same numbers as the "AAAA" from the 94 outback. I can get the "AAAA" for $150 out of a wreck at a yard up the road, which would be great. Should I do it? Will it work?

Thanks!

My 96 OBW 2.2 has a MFG date of 11/95 and trans # TY752VABCA. This isn't on the chart. However, the one that is listed as the right trans for that model year is listed as "ABBA." Pretty damn close. Seems like a typo maybe? If so, then it seems to have the exact same numbers as the "AAAA" from the 94 outback. I can get the "AAAA" for $150 out of a wreck at a yard up the road, which would be great. Should I do it? Will it work?

Thanks!

when dealing with automatics the last 2 digits refer to the model the trans was installed in, BA for ouyback, AA for legacy, CA for GT i think. manual trans may be different.

i would suggest you copmpare the 3.9 final drive 5 speed to the part number for the 4.11 final drive 5 speed. excluding the last 2 characters, there will be a difference, probably not in the first 5 digits either. but that difference will probably refer to the final drive ratio.

generally the 3rd to last digit refers to the sequence/year of the trans, again autos.

but there are not a lot of differences inbetween years if the final drive is thew same.

as mentioned, the 2.2 usually had a 3.9 final drive and the 2.5 usually had a 4.11 final drive, manuals 95 - 99. so you are going to need final drive confirmation.

The most important thing to determine for your car: is the differential ratio 3.900 or 4.111? Check the three transmission charts (two threads in the USRM) to try to find yours. Also, Fuji didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to which ratio they installed based on engine size; I've seen both ratios on various years of EJ22s. Only consistency I've seen is the Forester has 4.111 for 5MT and 4.444 for automatics. Other than that, it depends on the model and year whether there's a 4.111 or 3.900 in the EJ25 engine.

PM your VIN number and I should be able to verify the transmission type.
I would go by the transmission type in the event someone else already changed the tranny. Check the transmission type against the VIN plate in the engine compartment to make sure it's the same as installed, then the VIN# will work for you.