Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 DOHC engine vibration

Guest buruwagon

Does anyone know what would cause the motor to vibrate from around 1500 rpm? I just pulled the motor out and replaced the head gaskets. Im almost certain I hooked up all the connections correctly, tightened all bolts to specs. The car has an auto transmission. The motor seems to run fine otherwise.... it almost feels like something is out of balance. Or could it be a vacuum leak?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Guest buruwagon

There are no codes and I have tightened the pulley to specs. The vibration seems to start at 1800 rpm, mostly disapears at higher rpms and reappears at around 2800 rpm. The vacuum seems pretty stable at around 18 inches, I have not done a compression test yet....

Guest pat1234

I have a 97 legacy gt and I get a rattle/vibration at certain speeds/rpms. When it does it ans I let go on the gas pedal it stops. It also occurs when I acceleration quickly from a stopped position.

Does this seem similar to what you have??? I was thinking of checking it out under the hood as I have not had a chance...... anyone know what could cause this?? My first impression was the valves causing the ratlle for some reason.

Hope someone has fix this on their cars as I have having problems/noises that I do not know what they are and how much the bill can cost to fix.

pat

Guest buruwagon

Well, I talked to some subaru techs at Lithia in Portland. They said that it is normal and caused by the short piston skirts they used on those motors. They mentioned that the vibration should disapear under load.