Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap-Anybody know what year this engine is?

Hey there, recently embarked on swapping out my blown 1986 subaru gl-10 ea82 turbo engine with a japanese import, also called an ea82. When I got the engine, I realized it was definitely from a later model as the intake is sitting on top and the turbo is set up a little differently. Now worries abound about making everything match up (especially electrical). It would be great if anybody knows what year this new engine is, or where I might find a good layout of it, or if there is a place where you can look up the engine number. In fact, any useful information about engine swapping would be great.

Thanks

Please visit: http://photobucket.com/toyotacustomcab for pictures of both engines. The one still in the car is the original EA82 Turbo.

The "new" engine is from a Turbo XT. Not really "newer" per-se, just a different model. They were made alongside the regular turbo. The block and heads are the same so you could swap over to your old stuff. If you get an ECU from another hot-wire MAF turbo car you could use the manifold and electrical components from the XT engine..... you might need the ECU from the XT though for the TPS..... I'm not totally sure on that one.

In my opinion it would be desireable to use the XT stuff if you can. There's definitely more work involved in doing that so it's a call you will have to make.

GD

I should think that any ECU for an EA82 Turbo XT should work. I know people have tried to retro-fit the "spider" manifold from the XT to their regular EA82 Turbo engines with mixed results - the major difference I believe is that the regular turbo uses a 3 pin TPS and the XT used a 4 pin TPS (something along those lines anyway - I'm no expert in EA82T's - I can tell you how craptastic of an engine they are, but the MPFI they used isn't my area of study you might say....).

You might make a seperate post about asking about converting from a standard EA82T manifold to the spider manifold as that is really what you are going to be doing.

The XT has it's ECU in the trunk - so the wiring harness is completely different and much larger. But there are much more knowledgable people on this board than myself with regards to the ins/outs of the EA82T's MPFI variations.

GD

The only thing you need to worry about are the electrical harness plugs from the intake to the Main harness.

I had problems because my RX is a later year (89) and the plugs didnt match the 87.5 Spyder intake harness. I just swapped my RX intake harness onto the intake.

You should be able to use the stock ECU also.

I also see the crate engine is a AT, is your old engine AT?

No big deal, you will just have to swap flywheels.

Your biggest problem is finding the intake hoses and stuff.

I dont think I have anything left, it all got cut up when I installed my TMIC.

Which would be a good idea while your doing the swap.

Thanks again for all the help..

The original engine is a MT. Yeah.. if I can't find the intake hoses I might have to just strip it down and use the block. Short on time/money/close parts yard these days but I'll see what I can do...

I'll probably post another thread to see if anyone else has suggestions on all this..

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks again for all the help..

The original engine is a MT. Yeah.. if I can't find the intake hoses I might have to just strip it down and use the block. Short on time/money/close parts yard these days but I'll see what I can do...

I'll probably post another thread to see if anyone else has suggestions on all this..

Really appreciate the help.

You might be able to find the parts over at the XT site.

You can start a thread here;

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewforum.php?sid=ce0a2c4b9c3bae69025df9e60e0579ba

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hey there, recently embarked on swapping out my blown 1986 subaru gl-10 ea82 turbo engine with a japanese import, also called an ea82. When I got the engine, I realized it was definitely from a later model as the intake is sitting on top and the turbo is set up a little differently. Now worries abound about making everything match up (especially electrical). It would be great if anybody knows what year this new engine is, or where I might find a good layout of it, or if there is a place where you can look up the engine number. In fact, any useful information about engine swapping would be great.

Thanks

Please visit: http://photobucket.com/toyotacustomcab for pictures of both engines. The one still in the car is the original EA82 Turbo.

any engine swap tips you come up with you could send them to chad barker it would be greatly appreciated! danke

any engine swap tips you come up with you could send them to chad barker it would be greatly appreciated! danke

Yes - you need to start a new thread. She (the original poster) no longer has this car and will not be able to help you. She (wisely) got into an EJ22 Legacy and now doesn't have to worry about swapping engines :).

GD