Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Suspension Noise FOUND IT!

The left rear of my 1990 Legacy AWD is making some odd and ANNOYING noises. There's a clonk, a scratch, and a squeak. I just can't track them down.

Driving at lower speeds, up to 30mph, on slightly uneven surfaces all three noises will occur, seemingly at random.

If I get out of the car, and push down on that corner of the car, in small oscillations, similar to those while driving. No noise.

If start really bouncing it up and down, the clonk and squeak will make guest appearances. Huh? (E-brake off btw)

So, I get back into the car and drive at 30 mph on a smooth surface and rip the steering wheel from side-to-side and slalom my way down the road. No noise. Huh? What's up with that??

Obviously, bouncing the car at standstill is not the same as cruising over uneven surfaces. There is no torque on the drive axle, no pull/push on the trailing arm and wishbone.

Anyone experienced similar? And fixed it?

Related facts: I replaced the rear discs 12k miles ago, and had an authorised dealer replace the bearing 6k miles ago. I have been under the car and checked for loose components, but found none. Fuel filler neck is not loose. I have tried pulling the E-brake while the noise is occuring but there is no change. Same goes for the foot brake.

Try spraying silicone on all the rubber bushings, rubber pads, anything that moves. Bounce the car and spray some more. You may even want to jack the body up a little to unload the suspension and spray some more. Assuming you don't have a broken suspension component, this should help.

Also, tighten up the jack in the left hand side of the trunk and all the other stuff that accumulates in the spare tire well.

Hope you can track it down.

My car developed an annoying squeak after I put a different spare tire in the back.

It seems that the original spare-tire fitted into the well nicely. With a slightly smaller replacement spare (tread worn down), it could move around a bit in the spare-tire well, even when clamped in place. I inserted some kitchen-paper underneath the tire, and the squeak disappeared.

What are the odds? The inner linning of the trunk was rubbing on the inside of the rear body panel....I have dropped a rag down there for now, and it appears to have silenced things a quite a bit. I will remove the whole thing and make a permanent fix as soon as temperatures get over freezing - and this damn sleet stops coming down!

Thanks for the suggestions. My next step was to remove the rear seat and check the top strut mount...