Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat tail-light speed nut swap

Not the most important topic in the world, but has anyone opened up the size of the square holes for the tail-light speed nuts, to the same size as used by the side access panels?

Reason I'm asking, my original plastic speed nuts for the tail-lights are mostly all trashed, and I've got a zillion spares from the side panels, as pulled from junkyard cars over the years. The speed-nuts as used on the side panels are a softer black plastic, that doesn't crack if you look at it wrong. It would be nice to have the same thing all the way around.

I've got a little pneumatic file I could use for the job. Anyone already been down this road?

i don't know what you are talking about?

The little plastic things that pop into the body panels, and then the retainer screws screw into them. Two different sizes used. Want to use all the same size - the ones used on the access panels in the bed. Any better?

I have spent my share of time cursing out those little white plastic pop-nuts myself.

The ones for the tail lamps were never the issue on my brat. The ones that hold the grille/fascia on the FRONT of the brat were a PITA though.

The idea stopped dead in its tracks when (on a whim) I brought a sample piece to my local CarQuest.

THEY MATCHED IT! :banana:

Very best of luck.

• 1 year later...

So back to this question... Has anyone found a junkyard donor that is a match for the 7mm square plastic speed nuts, as used to retain the tail-light screws? I'm sure they're available over the counter, but where's the adventure in that!?:lol:

FWIW, the ones used for the side/inspection panels are 8mm. I've decided it's not worth opening up the tail-light ones to that size when I'm sure 7mm are available.

Yup, best bet would be to try to find the matching new part, they're really cheap.

The chrome bed trim has a special kind of plastic nut with an extension on it. in a pinch I have cut a roughly 2"x1" piece of aluminum sheet metal and bent it into an L shape. I Drilled the center of the short leg just big enough to start the screw, popped open the nearest access panel and used the long leg of the L for a handle to reach back and tighten the screw. Maybe the same could be done for your tail light. Just have to make sure not to over tighten.

Good luck!