Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rx FT4WD Transmission in RWD

not any more than a PT4WD trans. the transfer gears will be strained, but as long as you don't drive like a total nutcase, it'll work.

the locker is not the weak link. I ran my RX trans for about 8k miles in FWD (only had the front half of the driveshaft). I've put about 30k on it since then, locker still works great!

not any more than a PT4WD trans. the transfer gears will be strained, but as long as you don't drive like a total nutcase, it'll work.

the locker is not the weak link. I ran my RX trans for about 8k miles in FWD (only had the front half of the driveshaft). I've put about 30k on it since then, locker still works great!

Thanks a bunch. That helps a lot.

Can you run an rx FT4WD tranny in Rear Wheel Drive ?
yes. it'll be fine.

the folks that have never done it will tell you horror stories that those of us that have done it have never experienced.

so...limited (anecdotal?) experiences or armchair quarterbacks, take your pick! :lol::lol:

like chux said, i wouldn't pound the thing.

Definatly need to have the center locked. If you don't, the diff acts like any other open diff, and it will just send all the power to the front (since there are no axles there).

Even locked, would still be real careful. But im not sure what it actually uses to lock the center diff, and how strong it all is.

No luck on front CV's i take it??

Definatly need to have the center locked. If you don't, the diff acts like any other open diff, and it will just send all the power to the front (since there are no axles there).

Even locked, would still be real careful. But im not sure what it actually uses to lock the center diff, and how strong it all is.

No luck on front CV's i take it??

Not yet. Still working on it. This is plan Z.:)

we drove 5500 miles cross country and back in an 87 rx with the diff locked in FWD, because we had to remove a rear axle, because one of the wheel bearings were bad and we rode with an xt6 5 lug on the one side. had no problems, but we were running FWD