Ultimate Subaru Message Board

finding endwrench articles...?

Someone shared this link from endwrench..

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/engine/FtEngineOverhaulSp98.pdf

I went to the EW site but cannot locate this article simply by doing a search..?

I wanted to get the same article on the 2.5 liter

Specifically about valve adjustment procedures

Anyone know how to find articles on there? Do you have to be a paid subscriber or something?

thanks

thanks OBW99

I should have mentioned that mine is not a twin cam ,,,,and thank god for that because I'm not going to buy the special tool they say is required...

I tried google searching for the end wrench artical for a 2.5 SOHC but no luck

I sure would like to know the secret for finding it (do you have to belong to a special secret society?LOL)

I'm still not clear tho if the SOHC also has those shims or is it simply like the old OHV subys....that was easy

thanks OBW99

I should have mentioned that mine is not a twin cam ,,,,and thank god for that because I'm not going to buy the special tool they say is required...

Sorry, I didn't know you were looking for 2.5 SOHC info. (I looked at your other threads, and it seems we're discussing a 2002.)

I tried google searching for the end wrench artical for a 2.5 SOHC but no luck

There's no need for it, your engine should be covered by the info on page 15 of the EndWrench article linked to in your first post of this thread. Be sure to work on the engine cold, both to get the right adjustment and to keep your skin happier. The rocker adjustment locknut should be tightened to 7 ft-lbs after adjustment. Since tightening the locknut slightly changes the clearance, turn the crank two full turns after adjustment and recheck clearances when the cam sprocket arrow aligns again for each cylinder.

I sure would like to know the secret for finding it (do you have to belong to a special secret society?LOL)[

It's a trade secret. ;) (Actually, it's no secret that the search function at the site is less than stellar.)

Sorry, I didn't know you were looking for 2.5 SOHC info. (I looked at your other threads, and it seems we're discussing a 2002.)

There's no need for it, your engine should be covered by the info on page 15 of the EndWrench article linked to in your first post of this thread. Be sure to work on the engine cold, both to get the right adjustment and to keep your skin happier. The rocker adjustment locknut should be tightened to 7 ft-lbs after adjustment. Since tightening the locknut slightly changes the clearance, turn the crank two full turns after adjustment and recheck clearances when the cam sprocket arrow aligns again for each cylinder.

OBW99

Are you saying I should use the 2.2L engine instructions for the 2.5 SOHC valve adjustment (as well as the clearance specs)?

thanks

Are you saying I should use the 2.2L engine instructions for the 2.5 SOHC valve adjustment (as well as the clearance specs)?

thanks

Yes, the procedure and clearance specs in the 2.2L article are also correct for the 2.5 SOHC -- just to be certain, I verified that in a factory manual. Be sure to use the additional info I provided (engine cold, etc.), and the proper cam sprocket mark (yes, it's the arrow for valve clearance).

You're welcome.

EDIT: Note that the clearance unit is millimeters -- 0.20 mm is only 0.0079 inch and 0.25 mm is just 0.0098 inch.

Edited by OB99W
Emphasizing units

FYI, The 'current' Endwrench dated Nov 2008 was their final issue. Take it to heart. I hope they do start/continue, but there was no renewal fee this year. ( it's free 3-6 months AFTER issued ).

Bearing that in mind, I might file a copy of all that I consider important. Without the fee's, I don't know how long the repository will remain there, hopefully it's on a server that is funded. It remains a wealth of knowledge for the Subaru Mechanic. Although most of it's content appears in later FSM manuals and supplements.