Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator Fan for EJ Swap

renob123

I don't have an EJ in my rig yet (definitely on the short-track plans), but these are cheap and work well...

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=426&cat=20164623&page=1

I use two of those on my EA82, though one would probably be more than adequate. They move a LOT of air.

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=427&cat=20164623&page=1

The 12" version is only a few bucks more.

I have two 10 inch versions of those fans and they push A LOT more air than the stock fans. I got one of mine on ebay for $25 shipped, and the other one for $5 at a junkyard :banana: You can reverse the blades so it will push or pull air for your needs. Very easy to install as well.

I went to advance auto parts, and bought whatever generic 10" radiator fan they had on the shelf. cost about $50.

NOTE: do NOT use the included zip-tie-looking things that pull through the radiator fins to mount them. the vibration from the fan transmitted to the radiator core will cause early failure.

I then went to Home Depot. and bought a couple chunks of 1"x1/8" aluminum. cut them to the height of the radiator. drilled a hole in each end, and then matching holes in the metal bracket at the top and bottom of the radiator. drilled 2 holes in the middle of them, and zip-tied the fan to the aluminum. you'll want to test fit all this off the car, to get your spacing right, but it works wonderfully.

no pictures of this on a subaru, (I did it on my loyale, and the '86 GL that I did last summer), but I did it on my 4Runner this spring. same idea, but left it as a puller fan:

DSCF0567Medium.jpg

Also, it should be noted. I drive my loyale in town, almost all the time. rarely above 45mph. but never in stopped traffic, other than the occasional stop-light wait.

the controller module that I bought with the fan became immensely corroded (huh, only about 2 feet of wire to the temp sensor on the radiator, but not water-proof.....ugh), and failed. the fan didn't work for months. car never overheated. So the fan really isn't needed except on the hottest days, and under ~15mph for more than about 10 minutes. it doesn't have to be much.

I used the pusher fan off of a saab 9000 turbo. I hooked the wires up backwards to make it a puller and put it on the drivers side of the radiator. I run it off of the ECU controlled fan relay. I don't hear it much in the summer but it runs full time when I'm doing heav snow wheeling. I have seen the temp gauge get to the hot mark once, that's with the ea82 gauge and the ej22 sender, so the motor was roasting. But, that was a long wet snow covered hill where I was making progress inch by inch at 3-4k rpms for a 1/4 mile or so.

On a related note, what's a good relay/power setup for a radiator fan? I want it to be on whenever the key is in the "on" position. I'm wondering if something from the car audio world would work, since I'll probably want more switched power in the future.

Thanks.

Jacob