Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4" lift kit build thread

Markus56

So i want to build a 4 inch lift kit to replace the 2 inch that is on my car now.

I started making a list of all the pieces i need to make, but i left that list at one eye's house and it was incomplete anyhow.

So if someone who has one, or has made one, or knows what their talking about (:lol:) could give me a list of pieces with measurements and where they go, that would be awesome!

And as a second thought, if there is a thread with this information that i couldn't find, that would help too.

Edited by Markus56

Thanks for that!

I now have 14 2x2x4 blocks that are ready to be drilled.

i got the 14 from a site where a guy put a 6 inch lift on a brat. not sure if the number is the same for gen 3's

and i still don't have a good idea what i'm doing :rolleyes:

you wont need them on the back , heres my 4" lift to give you an idea , the critical part is the front strut blocks , good luck

DSC02630.jpg

• 4 months later...

a thread from the dead! :horse:

make a lot of progress today

Thanks for these, Bill! :headbang:

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

and i got the motor out

PICT0009.JPG

and all the crossmembers are unbolted. i am going to replace the engine cross member because i screwed up the steering at walker a few months ago, and i want to upgrade to power steering! :banana:

Edited by Markus56

I can tell you right now those blocks are too thin unless you sleeve the bolts or reinforce them from the open sides. Anything thinner than 1/4" wall thickness will be smashed (the sides will bow outward or the whole block will start collapsing to the side). I've seen this first hand with a 4" lift on an EA81 - 3/16" wall thickness was used and the blocks collapsed and the bolts came loose. It will be ok if you aren't doing any of the rough stuff at all - just driving around town on the street is ok. But when you need to get some suspension action going..... bad juju my friend.

Also - I no longer through-bolt my blocks. I use the stock body bolts on the top of the block and a new set of short bolts/washers on the bottom - this way no amount of flex in the block will cause the bolts to loosen or rip away from the body and the required hardware is much cheaper and you can use SAE. Yes - it makes it harder to tighen them but it's worth it. You just get in there with a wobbly and a long extension. Also I don't drill out the blocks for a clearanced hole - I tap them and thread the bolt into the block and then use a fender washer/lock nut/nut on the other side as a locker.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

What ya doin with your old 2inch lift:grin:

If you really want a two inch lift, I can fab up a couple for you. I've seen you mention it multiple times. I could do a couple of them for you after I get back from Vegas, and ship them out to you in a flat rate box. It'd probably be pretty dirt cheap. I think I even already have a few parts of the lift made sitting out in my shop.

If you really want a two inch lift, I can fab up a couple for you. I've seen you mention it multiple times. I could do a couple of them for you after I get back from Vegas, and ship them out to you in a flat rate box. It'd probably be pretty dirt cheap. I think I even already have a few parts of the lift made sitting out in my shop.

I have been mentioning it kinda jokenly in threads because someone was going to fab one up for me but hes been busy lately so he hasent had time. As far as i know he has half of it done so i wouldnt want to stick him with half a lift. Thanks for the offer though.

• 3 weeks later...