Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza with air suspension - How to test/repair air suspension discharge solenoid

Hello everyone!

Newbie here from Canada, with a Japanese import 93 Impreza HX with air suspension. I've done searches on this forum and have learned a lot about the Subaru air suspension system. Thank you much!

Two question if I may ask.

Maybe I'm doing it right anyways, but in order to test the air discharge solenoid to see if it works, is it simply applying voltage through the blue and yellow wires? I've done this and there is no click sound or anything.

So asuuming I did this right and the solenoid is currently not working, is there a way to rebuild/repair the solenoid?

I know the factory repair manual says to replace the compressor assembly as a whole unit and not to repair inidividual parts, but I'd like to try. Has anyone done this or know if it is possible? I have an extra compressor assembly that does the same, no click form discharge solenoid so I would like to use this as a guinea pig.

And no, not quite ready to go to springs yet, though I do have a set of coilovers for the last resort!;-)

Thank you again!!

Ken

You would do better to post this question in the "newer generation" forum. A lot of guys here deal with cars that are 20-35 years old and they may know little to nothing about an Imp.

I'd rather hang out with you guys, as it seems people here may know more about the air suspension.:)

The system itself is not Impreza specific and was used more in the older Loyales, Legacy, XT, etc. I think. Most parts ar the same, including the air discharge solenoid/compressor assembly.

Maybe I should leave the "Impreza" out of the post?

Or do you still think it is better to move the post to the "Newer generation"?

get another solenoid. i mean the EA, ER, and Legacy air ride parts are probably mostly the same, if that's so then a used solenoid should cost about $5.

and actually, the air suspension is a royal pain (keep in mind, i love mine and nurture it).

if you like reliability your best options are:

completely ditch it and get coil overs.

completely refresh the air suspension. replace all the orings at every fitting and de-rust, smooth, and paint all the struts. the solenoids can sort of be pulled apart and reconditioned. they have a small spring thing in them, stretch it out to help it regain it's former strength. that's for the air struts, i've never disassembled the tank solenoid though.

we have lot sof info on this stuff at subaruxt.com

get another solenoid. i mean the EA, ER, and Legacy air ride parts are probably mostly the same, if that's so then a used solenoid should cost about $5.

and actually, the air suspension is a royal pain (keep in mind, i love mine and nurture it).

if you like reliability your best options are:

completely ditch it and get coil overs.

completely refresh the air suspension. replace all the orings at every fitting and de-rust, smooth, and paint all the struts. the solenoids can sort of be pulled apart and reconditioned. they have a small spring thing in them, stretch it out to help it regain it's former strength. that's for the air struts, i've never disassembled the tank solenoid though.

we have lot sof info on this stuff at subaruxt.com

Thanks for the info!

Yes I hear most air ride subie owners will ditch the air suspension, and it is an option I'm looking at. First I'd like to fiddle around with it though.

so you mention I can get another solenoid. I thought in order get a new discharge solenoid (not the one on the struts but on the compressor), my only option was to buy a new compressor assembly? Would you know where I could get just the solenoid for $5? Tht would be great if I could do that!

Cheers!

Ken

On the 'refreshing' note, do you think a shop that specializes in air suspensions could do a full refresher job? You know, those shops for the low riders and such.

nah, they would just try pressure you into painting flames on it, get HUGE chrome air tanks/compressor, and to put "switches" on it :lol:

Well, I figured out the problem!

Dismantled the compressor/discharge valve solenoid, then went on to dismantle the solenoid itself.

The copper coil was rusting in one section and that lead to a break in the coil.

Factory manual calls for 2.5+ ohm minimum. I unspooled a few layers of the broken coil and now I have 2.3 ohm.

We'll see if this is enough to open the valve or not.

Cheers!