Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ford F-series fuel pump

jrettenmayer

I know what F-series means...

I'd imagine that some of the older F-series had pumps NOT mounted in the tank - I read on this forum someplace about using just such a pump. Apparently they are cheaper than replacement pumps for a Subaru, so I thought I'd look into it.

Thanks for the opinion. :-\

Correct - older F-Series and Bronco's used frame rail mounted pumps. I don't know the exact years but there are thread's here that detail exactly which one's you are looking for.

One of the part numbers mentioned in the old posts is a NAPA #2p74028 which is a frame rail mounted high pressure F-Series pump. Back in the early years they used an in-tank pump to pull the fuel to the high pressure pump mounted on the frame rail - this is one of those. IIRC from old posts it's something like 90 psi capable - which is far more than any Subaru engine needs.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I run 2 of them, one on my 92 EJ22 swapped loyale and one on my 86 turbowagon. The pumps are a fair bit louder, but for $90-100 bucks it's not bad. My loyale had no carpets so it was louder anyway. You need to adapt from the 1/2" or so coming from the fuel tank to the 1/4 or 3/16 that feeds the pump. You will also need to splice spade connectors onto the pump wiring harness to fit the ford pump. I have had a small tree pull one of the wires off before but my pump is not well protected.