Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another one to add to the books.

Well after 20 hours of installing and tinkering with everything the 83 Wagon is lifted and drivable :rolleyes:.

DSCF1387.jpg

DSCF1388.jpg

And while I'm at it does anyone have a better idea for a steering extention for this or is this an acceptable extension.

DSCF1389.jpg

This is the best i could do with the way the power steering shaft is. The angle was to great even with a u-joint in there and it bound so i cut a inch off the steering shaft to move the top part back and i put 2 rubber couplings in as well as a U-joint to make it smooth and not bind.... Who has a better idea? I can't put 2 u-joints in or it will flip flop around so I'm stuck....

My '84 has two u-joints and it works great. Just cut the splined section off of another steering shaft and use it to couple the two joints together. I can get a pic if you want but it's pretty self-explanitory. It doesn't use a rag joint at all and it's actually smoother and tighter without it.

*edit* - probably better if I just take a pic so you understand what you need to do:

steeringshaft.jpg

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Not to ruin your parade, but, rag joints WILL fail eventually. It's what they were destined for. It will probably last a good long time, but, they have left me unturnable a few times on different rigs.

I got a double U-Joint piece off of a 3rd gen, cut it in the middle, and lengthened it with some 1" pipe. You have to true it up, or else it will wobble, and you'll feel it in your steering.

Or, talk to General Disorder. I remember him saying something about a piece that will fit in there perfectly on the power steering cars.

And one more thing. Whatever you do; DO NOT modify the rod coming out of the rack, and pinion. It is hollow, and runs into the power steering fluid supply. Don't cut it, don't weld to it, don't look at it funny. You'll mess up the seals, and be F'd. Just letting you know! :grin: