Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My front left bolt mount threads are semi-striped, enough that the bolt won't hold tight anymore. I believe it is a #10 bolt. I'm thinking of tapping the floor threads to one size larger, and replacing the bolt with the larger size.

Wondering if anyone has run into this problem before, and if there may be some advice for me. Really don't want to make this problem worse...already lucky the car has an auto trans!!!

I haven't tried this, but a friend who has, says it works........

Use some JB Weld product. Coat the bolt with a light film of Vaseline, so the JB Weld won't adhere to the bolt. Apply JB Weld to the stripped threads. It takes very little product. Wait until the JB Weld is just beginning to harden up, then gently screw the bolt into the threaded hole. Finger tighten the bolt. Let it harden up over night, or better for 24 hours, before gently tightening the bolt just a little more. Don't tighten the bolt much, or the new threads may pull out. Job is done.

Only catch, is the JB Weld needs to dry (cure) where the air temperature is at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit, sorry, but I don't know what that temp converts to in Celsius, as I see you are from Canada. Hope you can get to a warm garage to try this fix, or rig up an electrical heater for warmth.

I was able to get a 7/16th bolt. Very carefully re-tapped the threads though the floorboard, and it worked!!

On to tightening my factory mud flaps before too much snow flies up here!

Thanks to valvestem & Rooster2 for your suggestions.

Love this forum!

I was able to get a 7/16th bolt. Very carefully re-tapped the threads though the floorboard, and it worked!!

Love this forum!

You're welcome.

But don't you mean "snow flaps"?:banana:

Love this forum!

Glad to hear that you fixed via the re-tap method. Best regards, Rooster2