Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welding My Diff.......

88Subi4x4

that's a bad idea, it's going to cause binding and issues if you put any kind of miles on dry pavement like that. since others around here have welded diffs, maybe they'll be able to elaborate since i haven't done it. i would think the rear CV's are going to take the most pounding, so you could give it a shot and see how long a rear axle lasts.

what kind of car/transmission? is this a PT4WD or FT4WD?

if you want more traction on the road i would think your problem is not with an open rear diff. what car, engine, trans, and problems do you have with the current set up? you probably need better tires?

Edited by grossgary

not a good move if you drive any on the road, as driving on the road you have to pull out 1 rear axle to drive on hard surface.

reason-when making a turn, the inside wheel turns faster than the outside wheel, and a locked (welded) diff, with one axle turning faster than the other on turns, you will break your axle. it cannot take the twist difference

I had a welded rear in my EA81 GL with about 26" tires.

Never removed an axle. (in fact one is still seized in, never was able to get that one free)

And I drove it like that for about a year before getting bored with the welded and going back to open.

But it is also not my DD. The most pavement it sees is to get to the trails.

Just watch the tight turns on pavement if you keep both axles in.

There is a gas station in Sandy that lost all my business in the Soob while mine was welded just due to too much maneuvering there. :lol:

And it takes a jack, a punch, a hammer, and about 5 min (or less) to pop an axle in and out. :)

i had mine welded about 6 years ago and i would never go back to an open diff. , the increase you gain in traction out ways pulling an axle. plus there are cases where an open diff wont get you where you want to go but a welded will and it helps when your following jeeps and toyotas. installing/removing 1 axle isnt that bad, its like TeanCF said about 5 minutes and i would use a mat or something to lay on for when its muddy out.

i had mine welded about 6 years ago and i would never go back to an open diff. , the increase you gain in traction out ways pulling an axle. plus there are cases where an open diff wont get you where you want to go but a welded will and it helps when your following jeeps and toyotas. installing/removing 1 axle isnt that bad, its like TeanCF said about 5 minutes and i would use a mat or something to lay on for when its muddy out.

your lucky both of my axles are siezed solid to the splines...Ive even tried driving around with the rollpins out...

your lucky both of my axles are siezed solid to the splines...Ive even tried driving around with the rollpins out...

man that sucks! i know of someone else that has that problem too. both of my cars the axles are free and all the other subarus i've worked on the axles all just slipped out with no problems.

do it.

and when your axles get siezed ,beat,em break um , whatever you have to doto change them out so that you can have fresh cups with anti sieze on the splines.......

i imagine a hot wrench has its attributes as well, but i have never used one.....so i dunno.

then taking an axle out is not an issue.it literally takes 5 minutes after the first time...

who knows,maybe you can make the record in replacing axles.......

cheers, brian

I had a welded diff in my lifted 86 wagon. it wasnt that bad on pavement. I live downtown with lots of one way streets and tight turns so in the summer I pull it out and winter I put it back in. Never broke an axle from it but I have side swiped a few curbs and snowbanks with the rump roast end from having to MAKE it oversteer to turn.