Ultimate Subaru Message Board

installing remote entry - hard or easy?

How hard would it be to install my 98 OBW remote entry (Subaru installed system) into my 1996 Legacy LSi?

Reading through here it seems like a rather complicated.

Including the fact that it might not even be possible without the actuator which is remote-entry specific on the drivers side.

Anyone have experience doing this?

I would characterize the Subaru branded, dealer installed keyless entry our '98 OBW came with as essentially the same as an aftermarket unit. It doesn't plug into any ready-made place on the wiring harness; it's attached with vampire taps (scotchlok) connectors. Ours was intermittent, and I couldn't get any documentation for it so I just tore it out and installed an aftermarket unit.

If you just want keyless entry, all you need is:

+12V constant power

+12 (switched)

ground

Lock line

unlock line.

You can leave off all the "extra" stuff: you don't _need_ the horn, parking lights, dome lights, trunk release wires etc. The most difficult part for me was programming the new keyless entry.

I'm installing keyless entry in a Bonneville today, so we'll see if it's as simple as it was on the Subie!

Nathan