Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 copper head gaskets

I am trying to fing copper head gaskets for the EA82. I saw the post from long time ago, and I just wanted to see if they were still available.Let me tell you what I have. I bought a 1985 carburated 4X4 wagon from a neighbor for 100.00 bucks. I got it for fun then I found out what a tuff little car it was. At 247,000 the head blew and since I had fallen in love I decided to fix it. I got a Jdm motor and put it in and it had a bad lifter. So I called back they refunded my money and never picked up the motor. At this time I found a externally beat up 1988 gl-10 wagon that I got for 50.00 bucks with only 85,000 miles. So I swapped everything. Dash wire harness all smog stuff everything. It fired up and ran perfect but had a pan gasket leak. So here is where I stand.

I bought a manual boost controller, intercooler, boost air fuel and a bunch of other gauges. I want to go throughthe EA82t and also I got a set of genIII heads to put on the 9.5 comp. ea82 engine.

I want to turn up the boost so I want copper gaskets because I have heard this is the weak link.

I want to make one bad little sub.

You are the one who outbid me on those generation three heads :madder:. I recognize your username. I have been looking for a set of non cracked generation three heads since September. And you had the nerve to bid when there was less than 30 seconds left on the clock :madder: :madder:. Before you showed up during the last 30 seconds, I was the only bidder. I tried to place another bid, but it wasn't high enough. So then I was going to make a much larger bid....but it was too late :banghead:. Maybe some day I can forgive and forget, but as of now I am very PISSED OFF !! :madder: :madder: :madder: :madder: :madder: (I had to let out some steam)

Now my poor soob will sit until summer or maybe longer....:boohoo:

Alright, I am done whining for today...

But that's what ebay is all about...Sniping at the very last second. I know there are some people that are pissed at me.

Tdangelo- be wary that there are some very specific things you need to do to make Cu h/g's seal correctly.

Personally, I like a well-engineered weak link. I would rather smoke a head gasket than have piston residue clog my exhaust. Helpful to have a known weak link while setting it up, before you are comfortable with it, to save your engine if the fecal matter hits the ventilator.

Well I see all you have wrote and thanks. I will go about it this way. I have a bosch inline fuel pump that I know will give me plenty of fuel with the line size I am running. I will be using a a/f boost and egt gauge to keep track of engine cond. I am looking for a air temp sensor to put in the intercooler to keep track of intake charge temp also. I was thinking of the copper gasket because I have not had any luck with the regular gaskets on the normaly aspirated motors. I am not going to crank the boost up and let it go. I will do it in steps to keep track of engine cond.

If any of you have any ideas on what type of injectors these are high or low impedance hit me back.Does anyone make larger injectors that will work. Does anyone have specs on all the different cams that have came in the Ea82 carb spfi mpfi turbo etc.

As for the heads I won on ebay. I got lucky. I found them not long before the auction ended so yay I bid at the end. You said for yourself that you would of bid higher. I bid once and that is all. If you bid the price that you want to spend in the first place I would not have won. But anyway I will take good care of them.

DONT use a true 9.5:1 engine under that turbo stuff. You will ideally need to use raceing fuel to keep it from destroying its self in the high end. Detonation.

Up until now, I had not been needing the high end of my engine...now that I have a super ultra sticky grippy suspension setup on my wagon, and a more proper intake and exhaust (exhaust for now, still needs work) I am using that high end. Past 4500 on pupm gas, 93 even, if you have the timing to where you have power down low, you wont have it up high, detonation city. Sounds kinda like and anti lag system if you set it too low so it wont detonate. Now, with race fuel, competition 100 ($4 a gal!!!) you can set the timing quite well, and it pull like a mofo down low, then it will drop off a little, but pull all the way to 6500 pretty strong.

Myos. and Miles Fox has taken one of those carbed blocks and turned it into about 8.5:1 or so compression, with pulls way better and you can still use pump gas on it.

About those copper HGs...http://www.headgasket.com/

You cannot get their sealer as of a few months ago due to some EPA guideline(s)...but that was then, maybe something has changed. I had sealing problems...but i think the main causes were 1: not enough TQ on the head bolts, and 2: slighty warped heads that warped even more dueing and overheat when the sealant crapped out due to not enough TQ.

Make sure you get your heads trued/machined up. absolutely no wareped heads. Thats how my 9.5:1 engine has lasted this long, it has a fresh head machine job. These are Gen2 heads. I have a set of Gen2's if you are interested. But you will have to get them machined.

There are supposed to be Nissan injectors that will work that are larger...ive tried them, and the ECU doesnt like thse injectors.

Cams...there is a huge difference between non turob and turbo...well, the turbo ones are more suited to the turob car and it will make more power with the turbo cams. The 87+ cams are supposed to be the best stock cams to use, so you've already got those.

15psi is about you max on the stock turbo, IC or no IC.

Now i had a semi built EA82T...Delta cams, freshly selaed up, extreamly high flow intake and exhaust...all on a stock turbo shortblock. the thing pulles to no end from 3k to whenever i decided to shift or let off. Pegging the speedo was no problem, and it didnt take all day to get there either. I would STRONGLY recommend sticking with the stock EA82T shortblock, just go with OEM SUBARU turbo headgaskets, machine the heads, get a pair of Delta cams made (677-260 is the part number I think, http://www.deltacam.com/index.htm), and go from there.

Good luck!

make sure you re-tourque the heads at least 3 times. bring the car up to operating temp, and then let it cool down, and re-torque them, on the last one add another 5pounds to it and you should be ok. forget this, and you will do a head gasket. I run 14psi in mine, and it is the only way I am told to keep the heads under control. also, if you are doing it up, add a legacy radiator, and fans to imprve the cooling, ans they tend ot get a bit hot when you start to wind them up. 15-16psi is is high as I would go, and not without a FMIC, as anything over 10psi is a waste without one. also, I know of one, with a top mount IC, running a legacy turbo, which saw 18-20psi without to much of a problem, and ran a season of rallies with no real fuss. personally, I thimnk that is pushing it a bit, but 14-15psi is good power and fun. just remeber to tighten the heads...or you will regret it!