Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have had all kinds of problems regarding the window switches on my 90 Legacy. Seems the design wasn't the best and over time they stop working. Drivers side has been inop for some time (ever after repeated cleanings) and the passengers side is starting to go.

My plan:

I want to replace all of the window switches with my own DPDT switches. They will be of a return to center design with a simple cross over design to flip the polarity.

Now, would it be worth my time to relay all the switches? Seems like all the window motor current goes through the switch and that may lead to increased switch failure down the road.

Also, where would you mount the new switches? I was thinking on the dash around the radio area, and i want them low enough so the cup holder doesnt interfere to much. Is there a blank panel available for the lower dash cubby? Ideally i would just replace the ash tray. Just holds lots of coins and i actually use the cubby.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Jared

Edited by coldfusion21

depends on what the DC amperage of the switches is, not sure how much the wondow motors pull but i would say stay 15 amp or higher. the new switches will last years to come given there not super cheap.

Runing relay's is alot more trouble than it's worth i would say, Worse case keep a few extra switches on hand in case one of the new one quit.