Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Odd oil smoke??

OK, '85 EA82 carb. with 280,000 on it. This has happened twice now in the span of 2 months. I am going down the road, everything is looking fine on the gauges, and then out of no where it will start to blow oil smoke out the exhaust pipe. Enough smoke that I thought I might have blown a head gasket. The smoke persists for about 1/2 mile (through gear changes and such) and then just as quick, it stops completely. No change in the way the car runs at all, before during or after, no change in the gauges:confused::confused:

Any ideas on what it could be?

OK, it has happened 3 times now, and it is a possibility that it is some what engine temp dependant. Not sure on that yet, but the engine has not been up to normal running temp. yet 2 out of the 3 times. It would seem for certain that in only happens within the 1st 5-10min. of the engine being started.

The cornering thing I will have to pay attention to and see if that is having any effect. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Crawler 65

what color smoke?

It might just be condensation in the exhaust, sometimes you'd be surprised how much can come out once it starts getting warm.

If its not condensation I think I've had the same thing happen on my EA81. I was just leaving the movies and let the choke rev the motor up to warm it up and suddenly a cloud of white smoke passes by me... I idled it down immediately and assumed the freshly installed headgasket was a failure, but to my suprise there was no more smoke. Even when revving it, still no smoke... just for that couple of seconds did it smoke and then nothing. And nothing since.

I chalked it up to condensation and old coolant that dripped in the exhaust from the HG job.

If its not that, it must be an emissions thing... I don't think HG's open up and seal themselves randomly like that.