Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb EA82 - EA82T conversion

firstly g'day from australia, nice board and HEAPS of info....

but, i can't seem to find (despite using the search function) a definitive list of parts and potential problems involved with the aforementioned conversion.

I have a EA82 GL wagon with a weber on it, and have just purchased the following:

- EA82T with AFM, knock unit, loom and puter

- HD clutch

- RX gearbox

- EFI fuel pump and lines

- header pipes and 3" dump

i will need to modify or buy a turbo x member, as well as a new exhaust.

can anyone tell me more about what is involved in the swap?

cheers fellas

Sounds Like you have it about covered.. only thing I didn't see on the list was a Factory Service Manual.. I highly recommend having one for such a major conversion.

Is the car currently an Auto or Manual.. that will add another list of parts...

Edit: one thing to add to the list.. Axles.. RX trans has 25 Spline Axles.. Auto and NA manual both have 23 spline.

its a manual, I am thinking of leaving the current g/box there for a while, coz it should be able to handle the power of the ea82t in stock form. forgot to mention i will soon have an air-water i/c from a turbo legacy that has been modded to fit. i will run factory boost til i get used to it, then up it.

i do have an electronic copy of the FSM on my puter.

do you know of any issues people have had that i maybe able avoid...

i didn't think this was a major conversion (compared to putting one in a MY wagon, or putting an EJ20T in a wagon), but hey, this is my first car and conversion....

cheers

i am moderately handy with a spanner... :D and will have some good resources at hand.

could you be more specific in relation to the loom? the guy I am buying it all from is a electronics technician and is going wrap it up nicely and label it all for ease of installation.... have you done the conv?

i will have to stick the puter somewhere and find a hole in the firewall to put the wiring through... how much wiring actually has to go through the f/w?

cheers

I haven't done the conversion. Its not a common one here in the states.. there are a few factory Turbos around( I hoard as many of them as I can get my hands on)

The mounting points for the computer should be there on your carbed car , I believe.. directly above your knees when sitting in the drivers seat..

Most of the wiring harness runs through the drivers side fender.. in to the engine compartment through a hole about 2 inches around between the battery and the fusible links box..

Oh crap.. I just remembered.. you guys are all backwards down there on the bottom side of the world..:D

Chances are, take everything I just said and move it to the other side of the car :D

Sorry.. I am only familiar with USDM Soobs..

I think that the turbo stuff will replace prettymuch all the original carb stuff...its just more wires to run! Ive not done that conversion...Yet. ;)

Please please please please pretty pretty please...tell me more and/or post a pic or a few of the header pipes and 3" dump....and if those can be found easily in AUS....

And check out this thread:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10738

the header pipes as i understand it were made from some mandrel bends welded together by the previous owner. he got sick of the factory headers cracking and leaking.

the 3" dump pipe was also a custom job. after the CAT it has 2.5" pipe and high flow muffler. i will be picking up the motor in a couple of weeks coz it is still in his RX. photos will follow....

I drove the RX that the motor is currently in yesterday morning. it pulls hard on stock boost, and revs out really well.

though compared to a webered EA82 with 290k km on the clock, ANYTHING revs and pulls hard... :D

cheers

i tried this. got it all hooked up, power everywhere it should be, all engine stuff plugged in... then i tired to get an ignition pulse, and couldnt get it. i either had the wiring wrong, or had a faulty part. if you find a good way to do it please let me know. tell me where you put power. hopefully somebody will post a good wiring diagram, or some good advice.

i ended up pulling the mpfi motor out, ans sticking in a high comp. carbureted ea82. i will try it agian when it gets warm though.

good luck

i myself have put a turbo motor together on a carb block

the crank pulleys are different, the turbo had a built in dampener. but we used the carb blocls pulley, for one, the carb block had no damper, and for two, we caouldnt get the crank bolt off the turbo block!

so far we run 87 gas and stock 20-25 deg btdc timing, no pinkgs or detonation!!!

we also ported the heads a little too, and we blended in the valve reliefs on the carb's pistons

the only physival differences between the blocks, is the carb block does not have the pcv tubing hole on the top of the case. in this case we bypassed that with tsome 5/8 hose

heres some pics of our build.

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/87rx/rxbuild/rxbuild001.html

• 1 year later...

Hello friends, i´m fierfighter from Lima - Peru Southamerica and we are a loyale GL10 1986 in use to service but this car without a turbo and the consume is 17 km/gl, this engine is injected MPI and the question is: is posible change the engine for other with carburator or change the injected sistem for carburator in actual engine. the transmission is automatic.

Please help me, we are need this car for our work in the emergency service.

Thank you for you help

Sincerelly

Hugo Polar

Lieutenant

Cuerpo de Bomberos del Peru

Hi, I put a ea82T in a EA81 car. Was alot of work, as engine bay was abit too small and had to merge two looms together in the right places. ea82T loom for engine and old loom for all other car electronics. I used a standard ea82T loom and computer. This loom required power to the fusible link box and starter, also had to provide power from the key. I think thats it, but it was a couple of months ago. Anyway motor is going prefect, great conversion!!!

Only one problem. Boost creep!!! I want it to stay at 10lbs but just keeps climbing, think it gets to around 18-20lbs. Gunna need a new motor soon at this rate. I have changed to a VF15R exhaust housing (bigger than standard) and built a new exhaust from turbo back. 60mm off turbine, 30mm off wastegate both joining into 90mm pipie after about 1 meter. Also, disconnected turbo pressure controller. Might have to make the wastegate bigger??? If i can't stop it, il just put in bigger injectors, rising fuel pressure regulator and a 5th injector. Great times. Probably still only 170 Hp.

Hayden