Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help.

1995 2.2 legacy and I am changing the timing belt. To remove the crankshaft pulley I had to use the starter method as the outer ring of the pulley would slip. I held the pulley with a chain wrench but the bolted section would just roate the engine. Once remove the pulley outer ring slides around the bolt section of the pulley. Am I right the pulley should be a solid rotating unit? The outer ring should not be moveable around the bolt section of the pulley?

Where is the best place/price to obtain a new pulley?

Is it better to go with an under drive unit as the original unit is expensive where I have looked?

Any sources for a good used crankshaft pulley?

Recommendations are most helpful.

Located in Albemarle NC

Thanks in advance

Yes, it should be a "solid" rotating unit. A junkyard replacement is probably the cheapest way to do it. I used one off a '98 2.5 DOHC engine on my '95 2.2; they are interchangable despite slightly different appearances.

I'm not a big fan of underdrive pulleys- the Subaru engineers designed the pulley size to provide good charge for the alternator, strong AC and the proper amount of PS boost. An underdrive pulley is probably fine in many cases, but if you do a lot of town driving you might be disappointed with the performance of your pulley driven accessories.

You could also get a new pulley from the various online subaru OEM wholesalers.

If the outer ring slips it's bad.

A used pulley is cheap and easy to find. $20 is a fair price for one. I have piles of them if you need one. Any EJ engine pulley will fit any other EJ engine.

I've used the under drive pulleys and they work fine with no issues.

Subaru 360,

Would like to get the crankshaft pully from you if you are still willing?

1995 legacy 2.2.

If you would pick one of your good used ones and send it would be appreciated.

My email is

Carpenter700@aol.com

I am not that familiar with paypal but use it on ebay so I assume it would work the same if you send to the above email address?

My address is :

Gerald Carpenter

1403 Northridge Dr

Albemarle, NC 28001

If you could ship asap it would be appreciated.

My home phone is 704 982 4034

cell phone is 704 438 1009

Thanks in advance

I would not go used for this. It's such a common failure that you are crapshooting with a used one.

New OEM style(not underdrive aluminum) ones are available on EBAY for about 80 bucks. As noted ANY EJ crank pulley will work so find the cheapest new one you can.