Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spewing Coolant - Now Part Of The HG Club

Yes its an EJ25, phase 2, 117k. Just got back from a 200 mile round trip and had been spewing coolant the entire trip. Realized something was up when I smelled the all too familiar scent of antifreeze. I have gave everything a very thorough look over. I felt the hoses and nothing is busted, I even took my timing belt cover off and looked at the water pump and everything is dry inside the covers. I looked at my headgaskets and I see no coolant coming from them. I am getting coolant overflowing out of the top of the reservoir with WHITE foam. The temperature is staying right where it should be on the gauge. It does show that I had the head gasket additive added before.

I really do not have a clue on this one.

Try replacing the radiator cap. If that doesn't do it then you probably have a blown head gasket.

GD

I prepared myself for that before I even posted a thread.

I also checked the dipstick and there are no signs of coolant in the oil.

I have not had to top it off before. I did add some last night before my drive this morning. I did hear a slight gurgling the other day. Up until yesterday, it had never leaked a drop of fluids. Power output is still the same and also no check engine lights.

I was dreading you posting about this eventually. It may be the radiator cap, but my guess is the HG. That's what mine did pretty much the whole time I had it. Spewed coolant outta the overflow. And as long as I replenished it when it cooled down, it would never get hot, but it was the head gaskets. Good luck man!!

Talked to my buddy who is a mechanic. He said it may be the radiator cap going or the gasket. I remember when the cap went on my BRAT that I would be overheating and have zero heat, this aint the case. Too bad this didn't blow before Christmas, would have made a good gift.

Well definitely try the radiator cap first. Just grab one off another similar Subaru and see if it works. If it doesn't, then I'd say it's the HG's. Man I really feel for ya. I tried the additive on mine. It prolonged it a little, but it still did the same thing to an extent

I always figured that when my gaskets went it would be overheating and leaking coolant from the heads with the dark milky crap in the radiator, this aint the case.

Would a bad radiator cap still allow it to blow heat out the vents but still not overheat?

I honestly don't know. I just know that this is EXACTLY what mine was doing, and it was the HG's:-\. These won't mix with the oil, because the phase 2 2'5's have external leaks. You may not be seeing any leaks yet, but I bet there is some sort of leak there, it just isn't really showing yet. Just make sure that you let it cool down and top the radiator AND the overflow back off, so it never gets hot. My old RS is still thriving with it's new owner. He replaced the HG's and it's going strong!!

if its exhaust gases getting into the coolant, then no oil or milkshake (thats when oil mixes with coolant), so all you are going to see is air bubbles, and it will go thru small amounts of coolant, famous for the cursed ej25.

Get a new cap first. Next step, save for the repairs. carry a jug of premixed coolant with you until this is resolved.

Thank you guys.

I am probably going to run it to my mechanic tomorrow and let him replace these. I have to drive 90 miles a day to school and the semester is about to start back up.

After this I will have all the major maintenance items taken care of. Clutch, timing belt, head gaskets.

I have a 2005 Impreza RS with the 2.5. Mine suddenly overflowed coolant from the overflow bottle one day after a 30 mile highway run. I had heat and the temp gauge stayed normal. The dealer replaced the radiator cap and thermostat. They thought the HGs were fine. That was over 10K miles ago (at 92K now) and I have had no other symptoms since. Hopefully you will have similar luck.

Too late for this now that the car is in the shop but, when my HG went (I bought the car this way) I could smell exhaust gases in the coolant reservoir. It was really obvious. This may not be typical, but worked on my phase II.

Well I was told in a text earlier than Kyle's RS has a bad case of the headgaskets. But boy does it suck for him... we actually get some decent snow and his car's in the shop.

You need to borrow my GL??? It may not be as fast and it may not be as flashy either but... it'll grow on ya. :rolleyes: