Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a real truck yesterday! '74 F-100 XLT 4x4

Hey guys, just wanted to share my newest prize! This thing was my uncle's truck since he bought it brand new in 1974, I was shocked when he handed me the original title :eek: and its in great shape! It's a 1974 Ford F-100 XLT 4x4, it has less than 100,000 miles on it, 390 FE engine, C6 auto trans, Edelbrock carb and intake (motor was rebuilt at 13,000 miles, its not the original engine), factory air conditioning, 33-12.5-R15 tires (need to be replaced ASAP). The body is straight as can be, with maybe 2 or 3 minor dents. The tailgate doesnt work right, but I had a brand new OEM replacement in storage from my second F-series truck. Came with the Delta toolbox and a roll bar with lights. I drove it home for $800!

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

This one is a keeper, I was sad to trade off my F-250 for my Toyota, and I had always wanted this one as long as I could remember. It needs some work, its been somewhat neglected for a few years. It runs like crap, needs tierod ends and tires, and the modulator on the tranny needs replaced. First thing Im gonna do is take off that stupid bug shield and give it a tune up, plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor, fuel and air filters, some carb cleaner and adjustment, and maybe convert the carb to auto choke. Then I want to install the roll bar, replace the tailgate and rear bumper, and remove all the old wiring and mounts for the camper he had. I might even wash it :banana: Somewhere along the line it will get a tranny fluid flush and filter change, and a new modulator. There are other little details, but those are the biggest things it needs. Im pretty much done buying American cars for a while, i have my 69 Lincoln, my 62 Chevy hot rod pickup, and this now, that are all running/driveable, so Im all set

-Bill

Nice truck. I just got a '69 GMC Custom Camper that I've been working on. Just a 2WD but it's got the monster heavy duty camper suspention - Dana 60 Power Lok 8 lug rear end, etc. 350 Q-Jet with a 4 speed.

Actually this will be my first personal truck. Worked on plenty of the Chevy's in the Army (CUCV, etc), but never had my own till now.

Mine's got a little more surface rust than your Ford there, but real straight and no chassis rust at all.

I've been working on getting it driving again - been sitting for a couple years. I'll see about getting some pics.

GD

I dont know what it is about the Chevys but it seems to me they always have rust in the front fenders and at the tops of all the wheel arches, I have a 73 Cheyenne with a super straight body (and a blown motor) but some knarly rust in all those places. The Fords from the 70's just dont seem to rust, not around here anyway, this one has not a spot of rust :banana:

I do need to troubleshoot one problem though, the coolant is spraying out of the radiator cap as the truck warms up. Im gonna replace the cap today, hopefully my uncle didnt let it sit with water in it and crack something...... I guess that could explain why it would run like crap though

-Bill

Yeah - replace the cap first.

No rot in those areas on mine - no rot at all really. Just minor surface rust where the paint is wearing through. Maybe due to the camper this one had on it for most of it's life. I'll have to check closer when I get a chance.

Finally got it running right today. Some hinky work was done to it by a short-term previous owner and I have about three vehicles worth of engine parts under the hood - not everything matches up. Can't see the timing marks on the balancer as they are behind the water pump :confused:. Engine came from a Van apparently.

One thing I don't have to worry about is the cooling system - as part of the towing package they ordered the heavy duty cooling system. It's got a 4 row radiator in it :eek: It must hold like 4 gallons of coolant.

Good luck with getting it running. Mine's been a real pain fixing all the stuff that was wrong with the engine install from the last people that tried to fix the truck.

GD

That is a great set up!! 390 beasty motor C6 best tranny Ford ever made. Looks great!! Love the old Fords.. 2 of my 3 tow trucks were 74 Ford F350s ( the other was a 75) ..OK my one Tow truck..a retired AAA truck and my Rolly were 74s..both with that 390. Trucks did things that they werent meant to do..and never grumbled one bit.

Congrats!!

I grew up on the old 70's fords, my dad bought a 73 brand new, but it got totalled out (remember the E-brake recall on the 73's? :rolleyes:) when the E brake failed and it slid into the ocean at a boat launch :eek: After that he bought a brand new 75 Hi boy and kept it for a long time. My Grandpa had a 72 Hi boy that got lost in a fire :mad: but insurance bought him a brand new 73 2wd that we still have. My first truck I ever bought was a 74 F-100 that we still have, but its not even 1/2 the truck this one is :banana:

I have been looking it over the last couple days compiling a list of what it needs, and I found the radiator is leaking, the tie rod needs new balljoints pressed in, and I have a massive fuel leak at the tank selector. The tranny also doesnt shift right, prolly a modulator, so I will replace that too. Eventually when I get enough cash I will have the tranny re-built and fitted with heavy duty internals, and I will re-build the 390 (unless I find a sweet 427 or 428 Cobra motor for a good price) and give it a little more oomph :grin: Also Im going to lift it 4", and eventually paint it a really nice metallic blue and re-do the interior black.

I think what I love most about this truck is that there is no such thing as a hard-to-find part, I can buy absolutely EVERY piece of the truck (except the frame and cab) from LMC Truck, as well as several other restoration companies. I love it!

-Bill

I also had a 75 Silverado that was just amazing..beautiful condition too..no rust..got it at auction for $300 cause it needed a driveshaft.

Always love the old Fords and Chevy trucks.. I didnt realize how much I missed driving a truck ( its been 8 years maybe since I had my 82 Toyota longbed) I havent driven my Impreza but twice since I picked up my Amigo.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on that.

Congrats, i had a 75 f150xlt with the 390 - c6 - and the 9"rear. I never drove it much but i did drive it to the guys house who bought it, was the 1st time i punched it hard. Woof had plenty of grunt. The only thing it couldnt pass was a gasstation.:lol: These things are notorious for haveing blower motor problems and there a nightmare to get to. Mine had typical iowa rust.

Accessories to buy:

Naked lady and or "Back Off!" Yosemitie Sam Mud flaps

15 antenna for cb or dual 4 foot antenna mounted to the mirrors.

accent lights on roof

Dual 3" exhaust stacks right behind the cab with the semi toppers.

:lol::lol:

JK, great lookin truck!

Accessories to buy:

Naked lady and or "Back Off!" Yosemitie Sam Mud flaps

15 antenna for cb or dual 4 foot antenna mounted to the mirrors.

accent lights on roof

Dual 3" exhaust stacks right behind the cab with the semi toppers.

:lol::lol:

JK, great lookin truck!

Have you seen his black BRAT?

I wouldn't put it past him to do those things....

Twitch

PS: I'm not a Ford fan, but its still a nice looking truck ;)

Speaking of big ol truck, I just got me a 1981 Ford F-250 4x4 4spd 300 straight six. Good solid truck, comes with a 6' snow plow. I had to drive it back 200 miles to get it home, it covered the trup with 1/4 tank of gas to spare. A little rusty on the edges, but it has newer tires and a stainless steel bumper.

I have a u-haul hitch leftover from one of my subarus, it happens to be a f250 hitch, SWEET!

i had to take off the plow because she was getting hot on the highway. The lugnuts worked loose and hogged out the rim. I got a junkyard rim with tire and new lugnuts.

truck comes with NRA sticker:Flame: