Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is the Extended warranty worthwhile?

Guest dgb03obw

Hello,

Just purchased a 03 OBW manual and still have some time to buy a gold 7/100,000 extended warranty for about $1300.

I sure some who have had problems will say yes and others no...just looking for the consensus.

Thanks!

Dean

Guest Commuter

I don't think you are going to get concensus!

What I've heard, is that you can get extended warranties elsewhere for a lot less than the dealer. They make like 100% markup on those things. I can't tell you who a good one is to deal with though. Look around, ask people.

The other route is to start your own "car fund". Put aside $50/month or whatever you think. Earn a bit of interest. If you ever need it, you have it. If you don't, the money is still yours. This approach takes discipline. Have your bank set up an automatic withdrawl into some sort of account or fund. Then you don't have to worry about it.

The other approach is to just keep turning the car in every 3 or 4 years. However, this way, you are always paying for a car. Personally, I like having periods of time where one has "no" car payments. We have both our cars paid off again right now and should be good for a few years (97 and 99). It's nice not seeing that money going out every month!

Subaru's reliability of late has not been quite what it once was IMHO. Also, cars are getting more and more costly to fix. Darn little pressure sensor cost nearly $300! And breakdowns usually happen at the worst times. Murphy's Law.

Commuter

Guest cookie

he seems a pretty rational guy. In light of the Subie's poor record on the 2.5 motor I would get the extended warranty.

I also am enjoying no car payments at the moment with a 99 BMW, a 99 Subie, and old Jeep.

I bought the Subie used and cheap this year to avoid payments.

This was after the company announced no raises and taxes were going up here in CA.

I have not heard much bad about the 2.2 motors though.

Guest Winterfoot

You still have plenty of time to decide. Don't get it from the dealer, though. Subaru will make a deal with you through the US mail before the year is out--and a lot cheaper. I rejected a dealer warranty on my 03 OBW. Subaru invited me to apply for their 60,000/6 yr plan for $500 4 months later. It also covers all wear and tear items.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Geico is offering me a nice warranty too. Check your insurance company. Don't forget to find out if it's 'inclusionary' or 'exclusionary' and what the deductible is. As commuter said, if you save your money during the original warranty AND throw in a deductible once a year - your self insured.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest Brettm57

My advice, read every single word of that warranty! Don't skip over anything. On a lot of warranties, anything electrical is excluded. I only ever bought one extended warranty, that was on a used '90 Legacy, and I made sure it covered ALL electrical components. It paid off huge for me. I had an electric window operator and the air conditioner compressor replaced under warranty. As I recall, either piece was more than the warranty cost.

Guest brattysvx

I too just got a 03 GT for my wife and have been contimplating the same warranty thing.

1. You have plenty of time to decide. You can add the Gold plan anytime prior to the end of yout 36 months 36k bumper to bumper.

2. The plan that Subie sends you in the mail should be cheaper b/c it is total crap! It is called the classic or silver plan. It is not much better than the powertrain warranty.

3. Yes it is true there is a decent mark up on the Gold plan but then again that also means you can wheel and deal. Call around you don't have to get it from the dealer you bought the car from. $100 bucks over the cost can be found if you look hard enough so I can see you getting the plan for $800ish.

4. How do you drive if you're driving 20k or more a year it probably isn't that wise cause you'll be over the limit in 5 years or less. More than likely most of that is highway driving.

5. If you drive a lot but it is mostly city driving like 10k a year it might make sense money wise since you'll have the warranty for a longer period as seals wear and the car ages.

I doubt we'll go for it as my wife drives a whole 5k a year so it really won't pay much for us.

Guest dgb03obw

thanks all...

especially to 1 lucky Texan...I have Geico and completely forgot about their multirisk/mechanical breakdown coverage. I tired to get detailed info on it from Geico but I have a feeling they will send me a marketing brochure.

Guest meep424

commuter's $50/mo into a savings account is golden IMO. Or just set that $1300 aside.

Remember, they have to make $ or it's not worthwhile, so they play the numbers to come out ahead based on their vehicle stats. Law of averages, they make more $$ than they shell out on free repairs.

Mike