Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual-Range 4WD Questions

-> I tried the search feature first, looks like I'm the first to post this.

-> This is a thread regarding any questions in regards to the Dual Range 4WD equipped Subies. So anyone who has one, may/can post questions here. So newbies like me will be well-informed. :)

-> So I'll start. Last night, after I did a complete engine and under carriage wash with a degreaser and high pressure wash, after that we went for a little joyride with my newly aquired GL Wagon.

-> So I thought that if I try to engage the 4WD-Hi, just to check it out if the system works. I think from the course of the cars life, the system (if rarely) wasn't even been engaged. So I gave a knack and tried it out, it works flawlessly! :banana:

-> After 3 miles or so, I decided to shift it back to FWD mode. But what happend was very unexpected, it wont go back to FWD!!! So we went in to a Burger King parking lot and we try to figure out what was wrong. We also tried the 4WD-Lo and it worked seemlessly, but it still won't go FWD as if ti was locked at 4WD-Hi. But after almost an hour and removing the spare tire and opening up the shift boot cover on the center console, my friend engaged it back to FWD!

-> Although he forgot how he did it, he recalled that he was at neutral, didn't depressed the clutch, but the car rolled backwards and the lever went straight to FWD.

Question-> How do I properly engage/disengage the Dual Range 4WD? Since last night, I'm very nervious to use this amazing system again. Please help me!! :(

-> Ok, lesson learned there. Is the Dual Range like a Part-Time 4WD in all hardcore SUV's and Pickup's?

-> If yes, When and where should I use the system? Rain (pavement)? Snow? Gravel? Mud? And is the system sensitive that it can break apart easily?

-> And what is the correct way to engage/diengage the system?

Don't be afraid to use it on dry pavement - just make sure the tires are the same size/brand and correctly inflated. It is differences here that will cause you problems - and of course turning sharp corners. You will not cause any harm or have any problems using 4WD any time you wish as long as you take it out of 4WD for tight turns on hard/dry surfaces.

I've been using 4WD in Subaru's for a LONG time and unless you are lifted/welded with big tires you won't break or harm anything being in 4WD on dry pavement. Just observe the rules about tires/wear/inflation and put it in 2WD when you are taking a sharp turn, parking, etc.

GD

-> ...

This is covered about every month. The 4wd is not awd. Treat it like the 4wd on a truck, don't use it unless you need it and don't drive on dry pavement with it engaged. If you can't get it out of 4wd moving forward, just back up 10 feet or so to unbind it, just like a 4wd truck.

-Bill

^ Ok, get it, got it. Many thanks! By the way, what do you mean covered every month?

Dual Range 4WD = Part-Time 4WD

^ Not Full-Time 4WD (Land Cruiser), not AWD (modern Subies) or On-Demand AWD (all CUV's).

-> Good thing that the Dual-Range doesn't have manual front lockers that you have to go down to switch it on, that feature was common in the 80's and early '90 (especially in the Philippines). Even the Ford F-250/350/450/550/650 Super Duty has manual front lockers!!

-> It has been a while since I've driven a true part-time 4WD vehicle. ;)

Linkage gets sloppy too.Check it out.

^ It's not the linkage, the engagement still feels very solid despite of its age. :)

[EDIT]

Don't be afraid to use it on dry pavement - just make sure the tires are the same size/brand and correctly inflated. It is differences here that will cause you problems - and of course turning sharp corners. You will not cause any harm or have any problems using 4WD any time you wish as long as you take it out of 4WD for tight turns on hard/dry surfaces.

I've been using 4WD in Subaru's for a LONG time and unless you are lifted/welded with big tires you won't break or harm anything being in 4WD on dry pavement. Just observe the rules about tires/wear/inflation and put it in 2WD when you are taking a sharp turn, parking, etc.

GD

^ Ok, got it! :)

-> Once I fix my CV/half-drive situation, tires will be my next fix (unless someone from USMB offers me help regarding my fuel rail).

-> Unless if its sharp turn or doing a U-turn; 4WD-Hi is ok. No 4WD on sharp/U-turns. :)

Edited by Vanishing Boy

the basic rule is use 4wd when wheel slitp presents itself.

on dry pavenment, you will be ol if you are really doing some hard driving and throwing the car around, skidding, etc. But ots not good if you are just daily driving around town like grandma.

I use 4wd in the rain on highways at speed, where any traction tension will be dispersed by hydroplaning, but not use it in the rain during in-town stop and go, since it will bind up.

you can get away with using 4wd as much as you want as long as you are using it n a manner that will not create a bind, such as in town stop-go-turn type driving environments.

so long as you understand this, you will be ok (using the car within its design parameters and not abusing that)

Edited by MilesFox
typing