Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scored Dayton 5 ton jack stands for $10

'84 Flat-Four

It's Dayton - not Daytona. It's Grainger's house brand/rebadge.

They are pretty well known in the electrical world for their relatively crappy electric motors, switches, and such. Some of the stuff is good, and some is only so-so. Their fan motors are used extensively in OEM machinery of many, many brands. They aren't well liked by most of the HVAC guys I know......

They make a dizzying array of products because everything that Grainger private labels carries the name - from automotive shop equipment, to pumps, blowers, fans, motors, belts, switches..... pretty much name the product and Grainger probably carries one with their Dayton brand name.

It's geared toward commercial/light industrial use - that's Grainger's market. You can't buy from them without a business account. They have good prices on their sale stuff and tons of distribution centers and stores - like Fastenal and McMaster's. Unless it's on sale though - their prices aren't real good. Their ability to stock or have something transfered to a store in usually 1 day is their power - if you need it yesterday chances are they can do that. Only time I go there is when it's a sale item with a fantastic price or when I can't get what I need anywhere else. Chances are those were a sale item that someone picked up because Grainger isn't a go-to place for auto shop equipment. Very likely a Taiwan rebrand - which is a LOT better than Chinese BTW. Probably a decent set but not anything incredible or made in the USA, etc.

$10 is a good price - I payed $30 per set (on sale) for the Harbor Frieght 6 ton's I use.

No way you can go wrong at that price.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Alittle off topic. I scored a awsome set of jumper cables at a garage sale this summer. If you know what im talking about, the newer ones you get in the store are thin and cheaply made. These are hardcore old school. The kind when it gets cold you can hardly move them. Nice thick copper wireing. And at 5 bucks who could go wrong.

Can't edit title but correction noted.

Yeah they're sturdy and heavy duty stands. Picked them up from an old-timer cleaning out his garage. Unfortunately these were one of the last things he needed to get rid of... apparently he had all sorts of goodies. I'll need to take another look at the label but I recall them saying made in USA, but could be wrong.

I love how tall they are and the wide base. I spent $25+tax for those dinky Big Red 2 ton-ers :rolleyes:

And for $5 Dude... you got a deal for those heavy-duty jumpers... Gotta love the bargains.

I have a set of cables like that - handed down from my father. He had a lot of older vehicles through the years (still had 9 of them when I was born) and jumper cables was something he got sick of burning up and replacing - he went out and bought the biggest, most expensive set he could find - which cost him like $40 back in the 60's. They are long, and thick, and even the clamps have copper teeth in them. Wish I knew who made them. Still work good and they are my primary cables 40+ years after they were bought.

Definitely US made. :)

GD