Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 91 legacy automatic that i've been driving for a while, done a few rally cross events with and do some logging road exploring with as well. Recently on a trip into the woods i wanted to test my traction on the gravel up a real steep slope. Imagine my surprise when only one front wheel was spinning. I tested this out on some other areas and it seems like my awd car is now a fwd car.

Question: Is this the result of heavy wear on the clutches that transfer power to the rear? The car has 252k on it and i drive it hard, so i wouldn't be shocked if this was the case.

No, the FWD light wasn't on, just so no one asks.

If it is the clutches are these an item that can be replaced separately? Can i do it without pulling the tranny?

Its not something i'm concerned about right now, but rally cross season is quickly approaching and i would like to fix it by then.

Thanks in advance.

Jared

Edited by coldfusion21

I assume it is auto? Me and my friend had a similar issue turned out to be the clutch was just worn out.

Here are some pics did the job with the tranny in the car, involves dropping the exhaust, driveshaft, crossmember ( BE sure to support the tranny ahead of time as it will drop to low keep the transmission in it's natural position).

01232010160.jpg

Worn clutch see the gap?

01232010161.jpg

Newer used one no gap well barely

01232010162.jpg

01232010149.jpg

Replaced solenoid, new gaskets, valve body, and there is a tiny filter.

Pictures, awesome!

Yes it is auto, edited the original post to clarify.

So the tailshaft housing comes off and that contains the clutches?

It sounds like you sourced some used ones off a tranny you had around, can they be had new?

Is that the duty "C" solenoid everyone speaks of?

Does the tranny puke all of its fluid when doing this? I hate auto tranny fluid, looks like i'm gonna be bathing in it doing this job.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out all the details before i get knee deep.

Whenever I do clutch packs, I always drain the trans fluid before hand. When you break the tailshaft loose you will still get some tranny fluid leaking out, but not a huge mess like if you didn't drain it. It really isn't a difficult job. When you get the bolts out for the tail, it's usually a pain to break loose. Try not to use a screwdriver to pry it open unless you absolutely have to. And if you do, pry on the top half as the fluid is in the bottom. You can normally break them loose with some real good shots from a rubber mallot, hit it as hard as you can. When you pull the tail off, make sure to reach in, and disconnect the duty C, before you pull it all the way out. While you are in there, I would replace the clutch pack (dealer), and the solenoid (dealer), since it has so many miles on it. And also the two gaskets under the duty C. Check the inner clutch basket (tranny side) also, I've seen quite a few break, where the shaft is welded on, this will cause a lack of 4wd. The hardest part of this job is removing the old gasket, haha. Could be the most time consuming too! When you put it back together, make sure you have the parking pawl positioned correctly if it falls out, and that you push the duty C connector inside and away from all moving parts. Afterwards, it usually takes right around 5 quarts of ATF for the job. Props to ericem on the pics, that's a perfect example of what you are going to be playing with.

Edit, it's in the way of one of the bolts, so you can't forget it, but remember to remove the rear speed sensor on the passenger side of the tail shaft, and remember to reinstall it. :-) Good luck!

Edited by 94Loyale

Yes! Removing the old gasket was a REALL pain in the rump roast especially working with the car just on jack stands. With some broken transmission mounts we were able to use them as a spot to hit with a hammer.

01232010157.jpg

On my transmission in my 94 SS the awd not working issue turned out to be that clutch housing that attaches to the shaft as mentioned. Although most likely this happens if you have been driving with torque bind.

On my transmission in my 94 SS the awd not working issue turned out to be that clutch housing that attaches to the shaft as mentioned. Although most likely this happens if you have been driving with torque bind.

Exactly! :)

And, as far as where to hit the tailshaft to knock it loose. I always remove the trans crossmember from the tail by taking out the 4 12's. You can see 2 of them in the picture of the broken mount,then hit it right there. Everything is a pain in the rump roast on the ground or jackstands. Hell, the gasket and knocking the tailshaft loose suck to do on a lift above your head! Haha