Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Question

OK, it has been a while since I posted on here. I am having trouble with my 87 wagon. The starting circuit has given up the ghost. I know how to put the relay on the car but, I don't know the color of the ignition wire coming from the switch. Please help. Thanks.

Put the relay under the hood. Use the wire that goes to the solenoid for the coil, and pick the 12V for the contact straight off the starter motor. Main engine ground is right there, too. I did mine with ring terminals and spade connectors, so the whole thing can be removed, back to stock, very easily. No cutting into wires, no guessing which wire is which.

The relay works great. Too bad the starter circuit is still flaky!

OK, the engine turns over now. It has gas and spark, I can even feel it suck air over the carb. It will not start, it tries but, not very hard. I thought it was the old gas in the tank. I put new gas straight into the carb, and it still won't start. I will put new plugs in when the sun comes up. I am open to any other ideas.

SHE RUN'S!!! The back story is as follows: My Wagon quit me almost a year ago. Got off of work, and she refused to start. Had to pull her start her to get home. Changed the starter after I got home, that did not fix it. Let it set mostly untouched for almost a year. Started driving a Nissan pickup. That lasted for about 2 or 3 months. Then I got my Suburban going and started driving it. On Wednesday night, I blew a head gasket on the Chevy, then drove it 12 to 15 miles to get home. It made it. Now the only vehicle I have that could be relied upon to get me around is the Wagon. Finally got her running tonight. Had to pull and rebuild the carb. She runs great now. Now all I have to do is pull the radio out of the Chevy and get it mounted back in the Wagon. Thanks for the info, this place still rocks.