Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IFS suspension lift

Special T

Hi I'm new to board. I have an 85subaru brat Its kind of a beater but I'm OK with that.... It is my first Subaru but my brother's 5th. He had wagons in the 80-86 vintage hi low transfer case.... We were thinking of trying to fab up a suspension lift of like 2 in without dropping the engine cross member. He seemed to think that a block about the Mac Pherson strut of 2 inches and lengthening the Swing arm, control rod, and axle would do the job... Has anyone tried this? The use of 1", 3/4", 1/2 schedule 40 pipe should sleeve the axle, control rod, and steering rod. I've done some fender trimming and not afraid to to more.. I'm running 26in 205/75R14 on steel Pug rims. I just cranked the back torsions slight trimming. Front I hammerd down the pinch weld on the firewall and some trimming around the lower front rear plus a little trimming on the plastic fender well... I only experience a little rubbing, but I'm not rallying it yet. My brother is a mechanic by trade and i have access to a lift and welder. Just looking for a little insight if you have any. I have a parts rig so i have 2 of everything i need if it goes poorly. thanks

They make lifts for ifs trucks that include longer axles and upper/lower A arms.. Keeps the angles about right but increases ride height and suspension travel. I know of lots of different manufactures for Baja style kits, so i figured i'd ask around before i jump into the abyss.

BRATS, and for that matter any EA81 do not take kindly to any modification of the front axle angles over the already 1" adjustability struts........

They really are the limiting factor. Now, EA82 axles can take a little more punishment on the angles. That is why not many lift the EA81 in the same manner.......search my friend which its seems you got that info.

Sleeving the front axle, well is one way to fix that issue, not really sure how many have even done that, but if you are a pro, it should be doable.

if you're gonna go to the trouble of extending axles, conrol arms etc... you might look into just using the ea82 front axles, etc... already have a wider track....

some folks have used some of those parts while doing a 5 lug swap, so there should be some threads out there in regards to the differences....

Im all for custom mods but that is way to much work to extend everything.

Just look into the EA82 front suspension swap.Already has longer axles and control arms.Then make a 2" block to lift the strut.A couple pieces of 2x2X1/4 tube works pretty good for lift blocks.The holes to attach to the lift block to the strut and the body need to be offset some degree.Normal subaru lifts offset the holes 7* per inch of lift (IN to engine).However a much smaller angle is needed for the lift with Ea82 suspension.On my 83 wheeler toy it has the EA82 suspension and a 2" block.But the block was drilled for 7* so I have a decent amount of negative camber...Im running 2wd front springs which are softer so its not quite as high as it should be in front but now it has something resembling travel

Stock EA81 suspension with 2" lift in front and torsion bar cranked up in the back scored a 350 on an RTI ramp.

just the addition of the softer front springs and the EA82 suspension bumped that up to 420.

then there is a couple mods I can do to the rear to bump that number up (not that 420 isn't a nice number :lol: )