Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Replacement (DIAGNOSES PLEASE)

I have an 85 xt fwd turbo.. Anyways I was driving on the free way, it started shifting a little funny.. like it was snapping into gear.. and then Boom!.. I started hear some loud rotational noises sounding like the clutch, but also the car basically wanted to slow down real quick almost like my front tires were locking up.. i pulled into nuetral and pulled off to the shoulder.. With the car running even if its in nuetral it makes a scratching sound if i let the clutch pedal out. I cant get in into any gears..(i was able to get it into 3rd at first and even go a little bit, but i could feel the clutch grabing and letting go (like it was shaking) but after ten minutes Nothing, especially 1st and 2nd gear are bascially no existant. )

The clutch was done 10k ago by aemco...

I can tell the clutch is messed up as well, Im pretty sure the trannys toast.. with only 155k too... But could it just be the linkage? I think i heard a loud clank sound just before this happened and then all hell broke loose.

I found some used trannys for not more then 200$.. my questions are :

How hard is it to do? What else should i replace while im back there? rear seals? Flywheel grind?

Has anyone ever converted a fwd to the awd or 4wd tranny? how hard would it be to get that rear diff. SOrrry Lots of questions Please Give me some Guidance as this is my only transportation besides my landscaping truck. Oh yeah and i just did THE HGS on this thing litterally a few months ago.

Were you the XT I stopped for on the highway? White, Papa John's sign?

I would at the least pull the transmission, its pretty easy on a FWD, and see if there are any loose parts on the clutch assembly.

Swapping to 4wd isn't too hard, just a lot of bolting and unbolting.

Start with figuring out what is wrong, and then work on swapping to 4wd if you want it.

Yup I definitely was the one your stopped for.. HA ha small world.

Yeah I waited for like two hours for a damn two truck luckily i had AAA..

Yeah Im going to probably start pulling the tranny this week sometime. gotta organize the garage first.

Thanks for your replies, Ill probably have more questions soon..

Ill probably have more questions soon..

We'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress :lol:

Good luck, these cars are "mechanics cars" they are straightforward and easy to work on if you take your time and don't rush.

It might just be a self destructed clutch disk. That happened on my '97 imp... the transmission input bearing was whining pretty loud, so I assumed that it had failed when I lost all power and grindy noises, etc... kind of like you describe. But when I had the new D/R transmission put in, they (CCR) said it was the clutch disk that had disintegrated (it was slipping a little before, and I was romping on it pretty hard in the snow when it died....). Might be an easier fix if you're really lucky.

Z

• 6 months later...

Ok fast forward five or six months, I have finally torn into the XT... I got the transmission droped... now I just gotta get my car higher to get the trans from under the car.. This is my first time dealing with trans/clutch issues... Not quite sure where to go from here as far as telling what my problem is.

I tried cranking on the input shaft of the trans and It only can spin about half a turn, also it seems like the linkage is locked up. The spring for the linkage was nowhere to be found either.

It doesnt seem like the clutch disk broke. the clutch only had 6000 miles on it.

I think I might just replace the disk itself, what do you guys think of that? Since everything else has really not had that much use, and I dont plan on keeping the car for more then a year.

Summarized three questions:

As far as the Trans, Should I open it up?

also is the Input bearing supposed to be loose on the shaft??

I think I might just replace the disk itself, what do you guys think of that?

sorry for the long post, but im a novice at drivetrain stuff.

Edited by mccrayk

1. You can open the trans case, but don't depend on using that transmission again, ever. IF you can it is a lucky bonus. Find a used replacement and swap it as a whole.

2. Input shaft bearing should not be loose on the shaft.

3. Keep the clutch disk, unless it is shattered into a million pieces or worn down tot he rivets it is still fine and can be reused with your pressure plate and flywheel without any resurfacing.

Transmission swaps are not that hard if you swap the case as a whole, don't try opening it up and messing with the smelly bits unless you know what you are doing or are willing to put in the time, effort and money to learn as you go.

crack it open and have a look. if your not comfortable taking it apart then don't but at least look and familiarize with it and try n see what does what when its "working" youll be able to see worn or broken parts easily.

For someone that are interested in learning a transmission i recommend buying a used one putting that in then download the rebuild pdf buy a rebuild kit off of ebay and GO, check every step 2-4 times.

For someone that just wants their car to roll again go buy a $200 transmission REGARDLESS of the awd application.

I bet you can buy the whole lot for the awd swap for less then it would cost to rebuild your transmission half the time too.

If you need help building, swapping, or fixing your subaru im one source for fellow pnw USMBers.

Edited by True2Blue

hey Would anyone happen to have a known good tranny around the seattle area? (ha ha thats kinda of a funny sentence)

I found some used ones, but I gotta drive a ways a way, id rather buy one off the forum if possible.

Specs: FWD, Turbo, 5spd. 1985

Also do yall know what other subarus i can pull a tranny from? would a gl10 wagon work ?