Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy timing belt replacement

Hi guys,

I bought my first Legacy and I am about to do the timing belt. I found the FSM pages on the net thanks to some previous postings :)

What I'm mostly after is what the recommended way to go about it. Specifically:

Should I replace the tensioner assembly - or do they never go?

Idler's - can I replace bearings in them or do they need to be replaced?

What kind of timing belt to use - I'm partial to the Goodyear Gatorback line over OEM - or is OEM the best?

I'm going to replace the cam and front main seals - possibly the valve cover gaskets as well - anything else?

Oil pump reseal - or replace?

water pump - replace?

Car has 200000 miles and was maintained quite well. Owner gave up on it after the timing belt went so I bought it cheap.

Thanks for any and all advise!

Just my $.02, I would replace all that looks fairly worn in the assembly. If it looks in good shape, then I would leave it. I have no idea about the idler pulleys, so I won't say anything about them (Josh, help here???). As far as the seals, I'm not sure how hard it would be to replace them. The most I've done to my 91 is replace the clutch fork, and clutch assembly while I was at it. My rule of thumb is that if it is a pain in the caboose to get to a part, replace it and any other worn parts while you are at it.

I replied to your post on the bc-bf list

but here it is for others

you can find a lot of info on my server

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans

I'm doing my t-belt very soon. I'm not replacing my water pump because it was done at 120k. But I'd recommend doing the water pump, t-stat, replace o-ring on the oil pump and add thread locker to the screws on the backing plate. Replace front cam & crank seals, rear cam seal. Also, if it looks like oil is leaking from valve covers, replace valve cover gaskets & grommets. I'm also replacing my t-belt tensioner. I decided to leave the pullies alone. If I get in there and t-belt idler pulley bearings are bad, I'll probably go ahead and replace them. I'd say get an OEM belt. They have the marks on the belt, which does help get things aligned

Other then that....you should be good.