Trans noise?

The things I have done.

New brakes all around.

new front wheel bearings both sides.

New pass side drive shaft.

both ball joints.

replaced a bad e brake cable.

2" lift

I still have noise from the front end only when I accelerate, at 15 miles per hour the sound starts. like a rubbing but not a tire. As long as I stay on the gas it makes the noise. when I let off nothing no sound at all.

Should I start looking for a new trans, Or check into replacing bearings?

it's a 86 DL 5 speed D/range.

How much play do you have in the Axle stubs coming off the tranny? If you grab the inner joint cup of the driveshaft (DOJ) do you have an amount of slop? If so that could be a sign of a bad differential bearing. Not to hard to replace, 3 bolts on the side of the trans where the axle stub comes out. Removed Axle, undo the 3 bolts remove the stub and the ring and you should see the bearing from what I remember.. Its a dubble race style bearing.

How does it feel when you engauge the clutch?

EDIT: here is a link as to what I'm talking about.

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showpost.php?p=230875&postcount=1528

Edited by TheLoyale

Clutch feels good, nice and smoothe. no noise when i step on it or let off.

The stub has lots of movement. I don't see three bolts. Here's the side of trans.

000_0533.jpg

Edited by Bash

Alright, I found out something new about the Diff Stub, that ring with the fins on it screws on. You can use a decent size plain screwdriver and a hammer and tap it tighter if its somewhat loose (Might be your noise) I noticed on yours there is no stopper which would screw to a threaded hole along side of the ring, not having that could cause it to loosen up over time.

I also found out that in order to change the stub bearing you would have to pull the trans and split the case to get the stub out. BUT, there is a sleeve behind that ring with the fins which could be worn.

Just an idea on something to check :)

-Tom

If tightening the bearing doesn't help, or if the bearing itself isn't bad, the noise you are describing sounds like a ring and pinion problem. If you have play in the pinion bearing or either side bearing on the differential carrier, you will get a whine. When you accelerate or load it, you're putting pressure on the drive side of the gear teeth and either the pinion or carrier is shifting out of place. When you let off the gas, the gears ride on the coast side of the teeth and the pinion and carrier return to their 'neutral' position. It only takes a few thousandths of play to cause this and will eventually lead to mayhem.

There is a lock, it's just to the right of the cv joint in the pic. I'll turn to see if that helps. Spliting the case looks doable for me I read Goyals post on changing the seal.

Will the pinion need to be reshimed if I change the stub axle bearings?

Play in the pinion bearing. Would this be a bad bearing or a bad case?

Found the 10mm bolt.

case split. the passenger side stub bearing race was sitting on top of the bearing when I split the case. I put the race in the case half it wouldn't go in without tapping it, don't think the case is pounded. I'll put in new one and see how it goes.