Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interesting (new) Clutch Failure

I had installed a new clutch set in jims 4wd spfi wagon. he had it parked at a barn since winter set in. Well, we came down to fix the TPS, but the wagon was stuck. We attempted to get the car out, which we did with some clever driving technique, third attempt. Jim had attempted to get it unstuck before we showed.

the clutch had only less than 10 miles, there was an odor of burnt clutch, and dust present(from the first attempts.

We managed to get it going, but the clutch cable seemed loose, so we tightened it. but the clutch seemed to be still engaged, with it near impossible to get in 1st or reverse without first shutting the motor off. we made it to a gas station, but when we left, no clutch at all. we pressed the clutch pedal, you can hear it against the throwout bearing, but no go.

so we got it back, and i pulled the motor away to inspect. I had speculated that the clutch smoked enough to "fluff up" causing clutch drag. p separated the bell housing and a bunch of dust and the disc metal parts just fell out.

so i pulled out the "hub" of the clutch, the disc part had desintegrated, all the circumfrence was gone. i proceeded to clean all the dust up, and noticed a considerable amount in the flywheel. a closer look, and i noticed the outer circumfrence of the clutch disc was stuck in the flywheel!

what happened, from the way it looked, is that when the clutch was smoked from the first attempt, the pressure plate side fluffed away, making so much dist that it wedged the flwheel side to the flywheel. then on the way to the gas station, the torque of the motor ripped away the outer circumfrence from the clutch, therefore ripping it apart

my point: clutch dust, seized disc, clutch drop, ripped apart.

interesting clutch failure

That's a new one on me...........I have had clutches stick after a vehicle has sat for an extended amount of time.........I always figured that condensation played a role, along with clutch "dust".....Couldn't get into any gears without turning the engine off first.......after warm-up, it would drive normally; like nothing was wrong to begin with.

You guys weren't dropping the clutch at 6 grand were you?...........;):D

• 2 years later...