Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does (tire) size really matter???

you'll only be running 4WD offroad, slick conditions etc, that's fine.

otherwise that year should be front wheel drive when it's not 4WD right?

if so, then you're golden.

yeah when the 4wd is disengaged its front wheel drive. so your saying as long as im not in 4wd on dry pavement (which would be pointless anyway) i will be fine?

yeah when the 4wd is disengaged its front wheel drive. so your saying as long as im not in 4wd on dry pavement (which would be pointless anyway) i will be fine?

Yes. You should never run in 4WD on dry pavement. The earlier cars can't deal with that since they don't have a center differential. In snow, on dirt, or mud they work just fine.

Mismatched tires will increase the risk of accident, I was running DL sized 175 on the front of my DL and the previous owner installed GL sized 185's on the rear, came around a corner too fast and the rear tried to overtake the front.

And thats when I learned the mighty subie was indestructable, well, except for the windsheild, but we rolled it back over and it did just fine.

Cliff notes: Same size ok if not same brand, different sizes are bad m'kay

Also, don't use 4x4 on dry pavement.

4WD is ok on dry pavement if you know what you are doing and have matching tires :rolleyes:. With matching tires there is NO STRESS in the drivetrain from using 4WD in a straight line. When it gets sticky is turning corners and you have to take it out before you get bound up real bad. I've been using 4WD Low range 4th gear on my 4 speed for years in place of a blown 3rd that pops out, etc. You just have to remember to go back to 2nd gear 2WD for turning. Which isn't a problem in practice. I've driven like this with many Subaru transaxles and never once had a problem as long as you don't break the golden rule's of tire size/inflation and sharp turns.

GD