Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy 2.2 - Cylindar 2 Misfire

Hi, I have a very stubborn misfire in Cylindar 2 that I can't seem to fix.

It is a Subaru Legacy L 1996, 2.2 Automatic. So far have replaced:

Spark plugs (twice, as Cylindar 2 keeps turning black)

Wires

Ignition Coil

Fuel Injectors

Fuel Filter

I was told it could be a broken gasket head, but a compression test turned up normal.

When the code pops up: Going over 60 on the freeway, or during hills. When this happens, the car loses power and starts shaking if you press too hard on the gas.

The code is always "Misfire in Cylindar 2".

Anything else we can try?

Hello and welcome to the board. I'm sure members will have some ideas to try. I know I was just reading something about intermittent misfires on endwrench.com but I can't remember the details. Maybe I'll see if I can find the article again. I see you didn't try the ignitor, but that really shouldn't be it since it also drives the opposite cylinder at the same time.

shouldn't matter if you already replaced stuff but did you use OEM plugs and Subaru wires?

i've seen aftermarket wires cause cylinder misfire right out of the box. granted it would very very strange to have a cylinder #2 misfire, get new wires, and have the same thing. you could try swapping wires - put #2 on #4 and #4 on #2 - just exchange them to rule it out if it's always #2.

i'd swap in another ignitor myself but like he said it can't really just be one.

how many miles? any coolant or oil loss in the history of the vehicle?

in general subaru headgaskets often fail but still pass compression tests, but it is very rare for this motor to loose a headgasket. it would almost have to have been previously overheated.

shouldn't matter if you already replaced stuff but did you use OEM plugs and Subaru wires?

i've seen aftermarket wires cause cylinder misfire right out of the box. granted it would very very strange to have a cylinder #2 misfire, get new wires, and have the same thing. you could try swapping wires - put #2 on #4 and #4 on #2 - just exchange them to rule it out if it's always #2.

i'd swap in another ignitor myself but like he said it can't really just be one.

how many miles? any coolant or oil loss in the history of the vehicle?

in general subaru headgaskets often fail but still pass compression tests, but it is very rare for this motor to loose a headgasket. it would almost have to have been previously overheated.

It has 163,000 miles. No loss of oil or coolant. To my knowledge it has never overheated. (I bought it used a few years ago - but since I've owned it the car has never overheated or had any coolant or oil loss).

The compression test was normal - not much difference between each cylindar.

Well, I"m pretty sure the '96 2.2L did not have platinum plugs as original equipment. In the owners manual it lists an NGK and a Champion option iirc. Genuine Subaru wires are the way to go, they work and don't cause misfires and such like many aftermarket wires for soobs do. Sure some poeple are able to use aftermarket wires but at the same time there are cases where they misfire and such and when replaced with genuine wires then the problem goes away.

Here's the article I was looking for: http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/engine/FtEngineOverhaulSp98.pdf

Awesome link - Thanks! Great info comparing NA vs. Turbo.

I've had the Misfire on my '96 2.2 Legacy Brighton....Car is 'at college' so can't trouble-shoot, but whenever it's home for a visit it more often than not throws the Misfire on # 2 on the way.

- 2.5's may require the NGK Platinums, but even those can run the NGK Copper like the 2.2's, per my Subie mechanic....just such a PITA to change most put in the Plats to extend the replacement interval.

Based on the # of Threads on the USMB, Misfires are common on the EJ's, even w/ the OEM plugs and wires. Must be another cause????

Td