Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drum brake and parking brake shoe lining separating from shoe, happened to you?

Just wondering how many people have had their drum shoe lining separate from the shoes or parking brake lining separate from the shoes. I have had it happen to the rear drums on my '96 Legacy brighton last year, and on the parking shoes on my '94 Legacy this year.

In both cases it happened to all the shoes. When I took the drums off, the linings were just loose, separated from the shoes. Which would explain the odd noises encounted in braking and using the parking brake.

Kinda common - more common than it should be.

Someone here told me that NAPA has them. And it was cheaper than the dealer kit (or wherver I could get a kit with glue and such).

Anyways NAPA is the place to go. I do 95-99's but I'd expect the 94 to be the same.

Thanks for the info. So far I've just been getting the parking brake shoe kits from Subaru. The hardware kit is separate. On my rusty soobs they definitely need the hardware kit too with the new little springs, cups, etc. I hate this job because it just seems more like an art to get all those little pieces put back together the right way with the springs fighting you and grease all over the place. I always feel like I need about five hands to do it.

I have seen it, but not a ton on the drum shoes.

I HAVE seen pad material delaminating from the backing plate. I just did rear brakes on an '02 Honda Odyssey and one of the pads had nothing but the backing plate lett. All the others were 30% or better and the calipers were fine. My analysis was that the pad material just came loose from the backing.

GD