Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 ford expedition lack of power

2006 expedition, 5.4L 3V, 4x4, 65,000 miles.

Problem getting engine to run well over 3/4 throttle, 3000 rpm and above. Not very noticeable in normal driving, however, towing a 7000# (8600# Max towable weight rating) TT to the coast proved difficult at best in the hills. Scenario: climbing 8% grade, in 2nd gear, 3500 rpm @ roughly 50 MPH, there is nothing left. Engine misses, looses power if pushed.

Fuel filter replaced with OEM 10K ago, oil changes every 5-6K (factory recommended 5K intervals with 5W-20 synthetic oil) at local dealer, nothing else ever noted by dealer.

Anything else that should be checked? Known problem for others? Again, this is a repeatable, consistant problem with and WITHOUT a load.

Thanks in advance to all!

Lewis

Edited by 2.5GL

Do you have any funny noises when on the throttle. Maybe like a puffing or chugging noise?

Have you had the codes pulled?

Here is why I ask.

The 5.4 is pretty well known for blowing spark plugs out of the heads, also even though the CEL is not lit the ecu can have stored non "hard" codes. It may need to be scanned by a better unit.

For example: My 01' chevy 2500 was having some shifting issues, no visible CEL. I hooked up the OTC genesis, I had tps codes. Changed tps problem solved. If you have someone with a snapon, or otc, etc.... look at it they can drive the vehicle and log what it's doing. High end scanners are nice.

I know yours is a Ford but... At worst you may want to take it in for at least a diagnostic test.

I know that I don't have the engine that blows plugs out, thank god.

No noises to speak of, it feels like a fuel cut situation, like I hit the rev limiter in my Impreza. Redline is north of 5000RPM, but I was only spinning 3500 RPM.

Lost my blue tooth OBD scanner for my droid, have yet to remember to bring one home from work. Last I checked, not codes were present, even though the CEL was on awhile back during one of its episodes.

Normal driving never brings this up, only WOT acceleration from any speed.

The problem is that I am not a ford guy, don't want to be. I have the knowledge to pull a manual and go after it, but some degree self preservation says don't do it and let the wife take it in for service. I would be absolved of any wrong doing by the wife this way, being that it is her car. Besides, if I eff it up, she drives the impreza, then I have to drive the hatch. Fun to drive, but not every day for 40 miles round trip every day to work.

BTW: already on the ford forum with not much luck, time will tell.

Perhaps somebody out there has a Ford Mechanic in their circle of friends and family??? (please?!?)

If the CEL has been on I'd bet there are codes. You might need to hook it up to a better scan unit. A standard OBD2 reader cannot read set codes that do not keep the CEL lit.

Like I said an otc, or snapon unit. Or just bite the bullet for a diag at the dealer or other repuatble shop.

I'd bet it's something simple.

• 2 months later...

Well, almost $1300 later, we have a solution...

Back when I originally posted this, it went in a few days later to dealer. They found nothing abnormal, and had no problems, I called back and told them to drive it from a stop on the highway at wide open throttle. Finally, they have a tangible problem. We'll have to schedule it in later, to better diagnose the problem...

So, two weeks later, they say Ford (not the dealer) recommends a catalytic converter. Ford warranties cat under 8-80 emissions warranty.

Car returned to us as "all better". No, not really... within a mile of the dealership, same problem.

Truck goes back in after the new year, Ford says "replace spark plugs, it does not have the updated spark plugs." Dealer removes plugs, #8 comes out hard, had to use special tool and follow TSB on removal of stuck spark plugs. (this is a problem with this engine, hence the TSB and "special tool" to break the ceramic out of the plug and reach through the plug to remove it from the inside) Threads in head damaged, insert installed, car returned to us "all better" yet again. This cost us $517 for plugs and $100 + in dash lights, etc. (This is the step I am glad I did not have to do myself, or listen to my wife *************** that I effed something up.) Less than three miles away, noticed a rough idle, and acceleration problem is worse now than before.

Next day, truck goes back in, thread insert deemed inappropriate, or installed incorrectly, misfire #8 was the code now. They called me back said a new head installed, would be $4000.00!!! But since we have a history with them, they would do at an internal cost of $1800.00 to FIX the head.

Long story shortened, we paid $600 to have head fixed, # 8 piston and rings replaced due to 25% compression loss shown though a leak down that I ordered on the engine. This also included a rental car for two weeks, and the MBI policy paid none of it. Truck back home, runs better than it ever has, and we'll see how much oil it burns now...

Edited by 2.5GL

Wow, sorry to hear.

That sounds like most 5.4's i have been around. I have owned some Fords but have always stayed away from the 5.4.

I always tell anyone with a 5.4 that complains of trouble or has to have fixes like your done(it happens a lot) to get rid of the vehicle asap.

My wife worked as a service writer and later as manager at 3 Ford dealers locally. There was always a 5.4 in the shop getting $$$ work done to it.