Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL noisy front driver side wheel

It's hard to tell. Need more info like, is it constant, does it increase in sound when you turn, that sorta thing. But one thing you can do, is check to make sure the large castle nut on the end of the cv shaft is tight. Requires 150 ft lbs, I think. 36mm nut.

Thanks for the responses. It is pretty much a constant noise but it seems more noticeable at lower speed (25 mph).

I will be pulling all four wheels off this coming weekend and taking a look at everything. I will go ahead and make sure that the castle nuts are torqued to 125 and that there is nothing rubbing.

If it doesn't go away would it most likely be the bearings? If so how hard are they to replace?

I had a little pebble stuck between my backing plate and rotor the other day. It was squeaking really bad. I just bent the plate back and the rock fell out. Done. Lol.

But wheel bearings aren't too bad. They take like 4 hours the first time if you don't know what you're doing. You just need a big hammer and a good punch. You don't even need to take the knuckle off the car.