Ultimate Subaru Message Board

jeep wont run

im have a 1985 jeep cherokee with a 2.5 liter 4 banger and it was just running last week but then died out and wouldnt start. i assumed it was just out of gas as what usually happens when you romp in a jeep all day long LOL. yesterday though i try adding gas to start it up and it would just turn over and not show any signs of wanting to go. i checked and it was getting fuel and i know it haqs good compression and air flow so that leaves spark/timing as the two culprits. i took off the spark plug and coil and turned it over. I saw it wasnt getting any spark what so ever. The spark plug is good and the coil didnt seem corroded so i guess that would likely mean the distributor is bad. What im wondering though is could it be possible that a wire got knocked loose inside it cause correct me if im wrong but i didnt think that distributors just broke like that unless they got got into very deep water which it hadnt at that time. Another question i had is how likely is it that it could have jumped time or something like that. It didnt really knock or do anything weird so i dont think it did but i have no idea why it would just go out like that. Lastly im hoping i can figure out this issue on my own but if not if anybody knows a good honest mechanic who charges a fair price in the North Idaho, east Washington area if you can get me their contact info that would be great.

Check for 12v at the coil?

Check coil resistance?

Check for 12v pulse from negative side of coil when cranking?

C'mon man - pull out the DMM and find the problem. Guessing won't work.

Distributors can and do fail "just like that". I've seen it - of course the only time I've seen it is on Mitsubishi's - but then Chrysler is in bed with those idiots so you never know. Personally I steer way clear of Jeeps and all other Chrysler products. I prefer my cars and trucks to actually run a good percentage of the time - more so than seems to be allowed by Chrysler's build quality.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 5 months later...

My name is Dan. I am new to this forum. I am having problems with my motor. I had to change the starter on it this year. Once it was changed it took forever to get it to start. I got it started and took it to the lake. Once in the water it would not run but about maybe 5 mph. I had to throttle it up carefully or it would die. I read on this forum of things to check. I have checked my compression. All four cylinders are running at 60. I have good spark on all plugs. The motor will not miss or cut out when I cover one of the carbs. I am just wondering what is up I cannot afford to put it in the shop. A mechanic said I needed to rebuild the carbs. It does not sputter, bog or anything when hooked up to the muffs. Just in the water. Any suggestions?