Ultimate Subaru Message Board

outback lift gate bar

Guest flash

I tried to order a lift gate bar (horizontal grab bar that mounts under the rear license plate) for my "new" '97 Legacy Outback. My sources indicated it is no longer available from Subaru. That is real lame on Subaru's part. Has anyone tried a 2nd generation ('00-03) bar?

Guest flash

Yup...I tried them. Well, I ordered the 2nd gen part and it's on its way. I will let you guys know how it works out.

Guest remarcable

I think the bar just screws into sheet metal, so pretty much any lift bar type object should work.

The subaru part will fit and work the best, I'm sure.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest flash

Well, I got the late model bar and mounted it on my old Outback. It worked out fine. The templates weren't correct obviously. It's not too hard to lay it out with a tape measure. I also mounted it 3.5 inches from the bottom of the gate. The instructions said drill at 3 inches, but that was close to a body line so I tried to be safe, since the instructions weren't for my car. Can't have a part like that not sitting flush.