Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat project??????

bratclay

I was thinking out loud on this subject. I want a tq monster brat. I hav the turbo ea81t rite now but next year I was thinkin bout tryin to stuf a eg33 h6 in my brat. I hav a few weckin yards round here that hav a few engines. I don't think anyone has done it yet. So I would be uniq :) idk if its even possible that's why I'm thinkin out loud and was hopin a few subi nuts lik myself would chim in

Thanks Subi gang

Ok Ive changed my mind. Im goin to build a ej25d. Im not totally sure if I want to use the dohc heads or the 2.2 sohc. I really would like to have four cams :)

I was thinkin I could use high comp pistons and sum cams not sur yet. I do know I want the most tq monster I can have. I wanta be able to idle up mountains(U know what I mean) Any ideas will help with decisions. Im goin to be doin it rite away either. Goin to take my time. I dont mind runin permium gas at all. Im used to it frm my 07 sti I used to have. I was thinkin bout goin with 4.11 gears also but its goin to be a dd also so Id like to stick wit the 3.9's. But wit a trq monster engine it will make up for it. Thanks subi gang

Maybe you should clarify your goals/budget a bit for us. My Brat has enough torque for me and my budget, but the best thing for you could be simple routine maintenance or a Duramax swap, depending on your goals/budget.

Torque breaks things. If you want it, though, one very cost-effective option is to look for my Frankenmotor thread on this forum. My Brat's frame creaks and groans now because of the torque, and the brakes, suspension and transmission all need to be upgraded to make it less dangerous.

Fitting the DOHC heads in a Brat is harder than fitting older SOHC heads. Also, if you're serious about torque, you'd be foolish to not get some torque cams from Delta Cams. The drawback of having 4 cams is that you have to pay them twice as much.

Jacob

Fitting the DOHC heads in a Brat is harder than fitting older SOHC heads.

Won't fit without notching the frame rails.

Also, if you're serious about torque, you'd be foolish to not get some torque cams from Delta Cams. The drawback of having 4 cams is that you have to pay them twice as much.

More than twice as much - rebuild on the DOHC heads is over twice as much (~$500 for the set), and the cams are WAY over twice as much. Like over $500 for the 4 cams vs. ~$175 for the SOHC's.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

You can also build a pretty respectable performance EA81 and it bolts right in (the hard part may be finding a good core). The more miles I put on my new build the more I like it. Just another opinion, but an EJ swap of ANY type will be more time and money. Listen to GD and the others that have done it both ways and then decide.

It will also depend on your budget and level of mechanical experience.

Thanks guys for all ur help and imput. I like it. I was thinkin the same thing when I said that 4 cams twice as much and I wanta to this on a littler budget. I build my 07 sti damn did I spend some money.

I was thinkin bout just buildin my ea81t but not sur. I was goin to build the block get cams and a td04 wrx turbo and str exhaust no cats wit a muffler and a nice tmic. But that's mor for street. I want tq to turn some 27" superswampers. No I know the turbo motor will but at higher rpms.

But I'm not totally sure. Cuz I do hav a 05 dodge PowerWagon for hill climbin. So maybe a built turbo motor will be fine