Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical issues

I have a 1980 GL Hatch 4wd 1.6 engine. The car was driving fine then all the dash "idiot" lights came on and soon after the car came to a sputtering stop. The car would turn over fine but would not start. Upon further investigation the fuel pump is not getting power. The fuel runs fine when jumpered directly to the battery. All the normal warning lights (battery, parking brake, all the brake lights, alternator light...) are on and stay on even when the car is running with the fuel pump jumpered. Pulled the ignition switch and seems to be good, and getting power to all connections. This is my daily driver, PLEEAAASSE HELP.........

hi, i think you should take the alternator in for a checkup , if your model has the external voltage regulator , then it is a prime suspect, i think that it is where the fuel pump voltage is supplied also. even if you have a external regulator get the alternator checked. i think about 1981 or 82 is when they started with the voltage regulator built in the alternators.

I do have an external voltage regulator. I was leaning toward the voltage regulator, but needed some extra advice. I did not know if the voltage for the fuel pump came from the regulator. Also, I do not have a wiring diagram, so if anyone knows where I can get one it is greatly appreciated. Thank you.