Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So does my 97 lego 2.2 have a center diff?? I know its a funny question, but I though they only have a front and rear diff. Its a 5MT, I'm getting ready to change out the trans soon, I was up on mt.hood today, and noticed some slippage as if the system is not operating properly, along with all the gear noise(hence the replacement:lol:)

Yes, you have a center diff in your 5MT transmission. It's a viscous type in the rear third of your gearbox. It wouldn't show up as slippage while driving since it's only function is to allow you to travel around corners without the inside wheels and outside wheels binding up. Typical symptom for a bad center diff is "lockup" going around corners in either direction.

Edited by edrach

Slippage? Sounds like a bad clutch. The center diff doesn't slip. I mean, it does, but not the way I think you're probably thinking. :lol:

Might have just been wheel slip. The front and rear diffs are open so if one wheel loses traction (e.g. comes of the ground) it will just fly, and the other side will sit still. The beauty of the center diff on these is that it keeps power going to both front and rear diffs regardless of traction on the front or rear axles. If you get two wheels off the ground, one from each axle, you're SOL. :lol: