Ultimate Subaru Message Board

El Freddo and Ruby Scoo - new to USMB but not subarus ;)

G'day all

I'm a new USMB member from the other side of the "puddle" in Australia. Been on a couple of forums for a few years, ausubaru mainly. Looking to help out others and learn more things about subarus along the way.

Here's my L series - Ruby Scoo as she stands at the moment (with "new honda accord springs in the rear):

p3020239rs.jpg

^ 3 inch lift, EJ22 with the stock L gearbox internals cased in an EJ dual range gearbox casing - no adaptor plant needed :D plus I keep my stock gearing for now.

When I head offroad her "big boots" are strapped on:

p4030091s.jpg

Some EJ conversion pics:

p8151652.jpg

Gearbox re-casing:

p8101618.jpg

EJ fitted and running well:

p9190096.jpg

All geared up for Australia day last year (2010) with the EJ:

p1190146.jpg

Ruby Scoo in mud:

p5230600.jpg

In snow:

p8280075g.jpg

In water :(

pb010089rs.jpg

In the (crappy rented) shed a month after being in water:

pc230419rs.jpg

In sand:

p1220170rs.jpg

And hanging out with friends:

p1220164rs.jpg

My videos on youtube ;)

Everything on this subi has been built or modified/fitted by myself with exception to the rear bar where my uncle helped me out with the whole construction for start to finish - well he built it, I was his caddy for a day - meaning I was just trying to stay out of his way ;)

Future mods: Snorkel, bonnet vent to get rid of more heat from under there on the hot days. I'd like to supercharge it but I'm not sure if I'll get onto that pipe dream. An endless air would be super but again space is an issue. A dual battery setup is half way complete, just need some frame work to mount the second battery under the bonnet.

Then a rear cargo setup for everything I need when I'm offroad... Just time and shed space I don't have at the moment.

An awd dual range gearbox is being sorted for better onroad handling and reduction of the torque steer behaviour the EJ can induce. Can't wait for that gearbox!

This is such a large forum I hope to get to all the corners at some point in time, hope you've enjoyed the short story about my 88 DL wagon and the videos if you had the time to check them out.

Cheers

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

great work. ive seen your videos many times before. things like that are what make us all proud to drive a subaru.

That's awesome! Love hearing things like this...

I've got another one in the pipeline but I need some motivation and inspiration to get it completed... Its of our last outing to Robe in the sand with some South Oz subaru nuts. Good times!

Cheers

Bennie

Blocks of wood for Jackstands? Thats scary! :lol:

No, quite the opposite, they were "custom shaped" on top for the best seating possible. Much better than any jack stand I could find - plus they were cheap! Found them in the wood stack ;)

Also, I'm waiting for some 14 inch scorpion rims to arrive :D I'm sure these were only made by a local australian company that no longer produce them, reasons not known to me - either way I've finally got hold of a pair, once they get here...

The Scorpion rim:

440548169o.jpg

And the set of five rims en route:

440548113o.jpg

Standard offset and for me a better alternative to pug rims that are not as "easy on the eye" as I find these rims to be :D

More pics of that later...

Cheers

Bennie

• 1 year later...

Well this is what I got up to last summer - from mid november 2011 until the end of april 2012:

dsc8372rubyrepairs.jpg

dsc8140rubyrepairs.jpg

dsc8102rubyrepairs.jpg

All of the above to fix this issue:

dsc7817rubyrepairs.jpg

Going back together:

dsc8395rubyrepairs.jpg

A great feeling when it's back in one piece, but it all takes time and patience and I guess some will as well!

dsc8404rubyrepairs.jpg

dsc8476rubyrepairs.jpg

Re-routing some wiring:

dsc8917rubyrepairs.jpg

^ In one way I kind of wish I didn't do this, but in another I wish I went further with it and tidied up the "knuckle" that I ended up with in the cut down... I've now got to go back and find my tacho wire in this mess (that's "neatly" tucked up under the dash) so that I can watch my engine revs again.

All back together and almost "on top of the world" near Mt Hotham:

dsc9894rubyscooisback.jpg

Out and about:

Site of Australia's first airplane flight:

dsc9900rubyscoo.jpg

Victorian High Country in May:

dsc0017bluerag.jpg

dsc0055rubyscoobasaltkn.jpg

^ Ruby Scoo is sitting level in this pic :D

Mt Hotham two days after the trip above; at the Arlberg Hotel were I was night manager last year - very fond memories of that place!

dsc0170hothamrubyscoo25.jpg

Mt Cole:

dsc0343mtcole.jpg

Mt Cole with Tweety (EA81'd trike - now supercharged!) and Dulagarl (the H6 dual range foz)

dsc0512mtcole.jpg

Wimmera River and Wyperfled NP trip with the H6's:

dsc0979wimmera.jpg

The "new" touring storage system - still under construction and probably will be for a number of years!

dsc1425lseriescampcargo.jpg

dsc1423lseriecampcargo.jpg

^ A number of improvements yet to come. This was built over two days before the trip with scrap steel. It works well for what it is, even though it doesn't look pretty or organised it was enough to make life easier for us out bush.

And the last one for now to finish off this post:

Wyperfeld NP kitted out for touring:

dsc1406wimmerarubyscoo.jpg

I often forget how much work and effort I've put into this vehicle. While it's old an beaten (not too badly) she still goes very well and does what I ask of her. It's great to have done all that work and occasionally realise that you did it and remember those times when it all seemed too much yet ploughing on was the only way to get it done. Many things learnt and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again!

Cheers

Bennie

Welcome,

Thanks mate, been on here a while now (can't edit the first post to change the title) - been doing more reading than posting - I find it hard to keep up with the number of posts that can occur in one evening! Plus I've got several other subi forums that I've been on longer than here...

looks like some good times

Hence the reason for the rebuild work - I saw this as the cheaper option than sourcing another L series and going through the rego purpose, plus I'll be able to use the rotisserie again - I couldn't let her go just yet, it's not her time...

I Hope to make it over there someday, how easy is it to find a EA82 car with the dualrange?

At the moment it's pretty easy, as for their condition it can be hit and miss. Best bet would be to hit up the aussie forums and see what you can get from there - at least there will be support.

Planning on packing some EJ dualrange gearboxes for the trip home?? At Pick-a-part style wrecking yards these tend to go for about $200 to $250 each regardless of the model of vehicle they come from. Could be a good "investment" if you can work out how to get it back to the US easily and cheaply.

I'm actually after the RXII coupe's dual range with the locking centre diff. Specifically I'm after the centre diff and housing - the one I'm building turns out to be stuffed :-\ This diff is all that's holding me back from putting the icing on the cake with Ruby Scoo. Details of the build: 4.11 cut and shut pinion shaft gearset, L series good low range 1.59:1 and front mechanical LSD. This should round off Ruby Scoo very well.

These gearboxes are like hen's teeth over here :(

Cheers

Bennie