Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What years and models came with traction control?

Ive read that traction control was an option in the 90's legacys, was this for all models, only the outbacks or what?

Im kinda curious because I live in a rather extreme location and alot of the time I get stuck where Ive got just 1 tire spinning on either side of the car and if the traction control suby made actually worked well that would be pretty useful just for those ocasions.

its my understanding that it basically just uses the ABS which Ive got, would it be possible to make my '95 legacy have TC by swapping whatever electronics Id need? Im guessing it would be either pretty easy or a nightmare...

Has anyone had it, i mean did it work well or no? Id pretty much just want it for being stuck, never driving. ANd id imagine it would be easier than like finding a LSD rear end or something.

depending on what car you have, you can buy a matching VLSD rear diff from an 01 -04 era outback or gt or what ever and bolt it in. a viscous limited slip diff was standard around then.

a 3.9 may be hard to find but a 4.11 or a 4.44 should be easy, ~$150.00.

what car, year, model, trans, do you have??

the other thing to try when you get 1 wheel spinning on the front and rear is to apply a little bit of brake.

Edited by johnceggleston

Its a '95 Legacy LS Wagon, yeah i figured it may be a pain, I cant seem to find much info about the TC. It would just be really nice to have. Ive seen LSD's but never for less than 300 bucks, I was kinda humoring some simple addon to the ABS system I could find in a junkyard...probly not the case though.

Yeah applying brakes does help, lol if the ABS worked all the time..Ive got a loose connection somewhere i need to hunt down, it works like every other time i start the car haha. Perks of beating the crap out of the thing every day.

Toes dude. :) It was a good question and I learned some things thru it. There would be an interface between the abs and a pad, I suppose akin to a joystick. You see what side is spinning and goose the brake there. Would be great. They just couldn't Make it that way. Big :eek:

i don't know anything about what it does. but i do remember reading in the FSM that part of it , the brain mabe?, is located under the passenger seat.

i learned this when i swapped the ECU in my 98 outback and got a cel for the TCS. the fix included checking the resistance/ continuity on the unit under the passenger seat.

Hmm, in my several years of Legacy and 90's Subaru research, I have never seen an option for traction control. The SVX didn't even have such an option, and the SVX has all the rare features that a Subaru of the 90's would have (except the air suspension).