Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy sedna 2.2 at. the alternator has four wires total going and or coming from it.

the main wire comes from the battery and is hot all the time. this is the exciter side of the alternator. i think.

then in the plug of the alternator are three other wires. white black and yellow. thw white with key on engine off has power going out of it through the alternator. the black wire goes to the charge light. the yloow wire is suppose to supply power to a diode and then from the diode supply poiwer to the iginition relay.

is this yellow wire suppose to also be hot with key on and engine off? and is it suppose ot be a full 12 volts?

ok i was finally able to get the belt on. and tried to start it. i got the same thign. no power coming from the alt on that wire. so i took the alt i had been rebuilding (new diodes new brushes) off and took it to the parts store. the alt failed to pass. i cant believe this alternator keeps falling apart or not working. this has been the problem from the start. i guess i am just going to buy another one. i am done trying to replace parts in this one.

I personally would get a OEM one from a junkyard rather than one from the auto parts store, I have had very bad luck with remans from other manufacturers (replaced one on a grand prix years ago 3 times within a year)

of course what you find in a junkyard may be a reman as well, but all of the subarus i have owned so far seem to have their original alternators and have worked fine.

it failed a test at another part store. . so i am wondering if the voltage regulator bein bad would cause a complete fail. i dont know why i didnt think of it being called that. because a voltage regulator tells the alternator how much to charge. anyway thanks for the replies. i am goign to call the junkyard tomorrow and see what i can get a used one for.

they're cheap - used should be $20-$50 tops.

1996 (or 1997) Subaru Outbacks (EJ25's) I think have the recall and therefore you can buy them new from Subaru for only $60-$75. that's so cheap i just bought one as a spare. many alt's interchange, maybe that will work for you.

they're cheap - used should be $20-$50 tops.

1996 (or 1997) Subaru Outbacks (EJ25's) I think have the recall and therefore you can buy them new from Subaru for only $60-$75. that's so cheap i just bought one as a spare. many alt's interchange, maybe that will work for you.

The harness plug for the Outback Alternator isn't round like the older Legacy one.

I can ship you an alternator if it comes to that.

The main wire of the alternator tieing to the battery is the output wire, not the exciter wire. The wire tied to the warning lamp in the dash should tie to the exciter. The lead supplies power to the exciter through the warning lamp and then when the engine starts the exciter builds a charge up in the field windings of the alternator. When field builds up the alternator starts working and also backfeeds a voltage on the lamp wire. That causes the warning light to turn off when the alternator is working correctly. If there is a problem then that voltage drops and the warning light turns on. That circuit is also tied to the warning lights and is how they are tested when the key is turned to ON and the engine OFF.

Another lead on the back side should tie to the regulator so it can monitor the charge state of the battery.