Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy Rally-X Wagon.......EG33 swapped.

I have owned this old 1995 Legacy L wagon for the past 6 years. It stared out as a base model L, 2.2L 4eat and has over 400,000kms on her now.

A few years ago the car was lifted on on 2004 Forester XT suspension, Homemade Teflon rear strut spacers, 215/70R15 Dunlop Graspics, 1999 Forrester 15" steelies. She worked great and handled surprisingly well, but was underpowered.

P5020146.jpg

It was about this time I started collecting parts for a rally-x car build. By the fall of 2009 the Legacy had been deregulated to a woods road and snow storm beast, but I really hoped to find a 2dr 5spd GC as a platform for my rally-x car.

I had always loved the idea of swapping an EG33 into a non-SVX platform. I had found a local guy with a low mile eg33 sitting in the corner of his garage. We talked about it a few times, but since it came with no ecu or bulkhead harness. I decided to pass on it.

The last week of November 2010 I got a surprise phone call, the owner of the eg33 was cleaning out his garage and needed to make space. He offered me the engine for free .....

I counter offered to trade it for a bottle of his favorite booze. The next night I left the house with a 40oz bottle of rum and returned home with an Eg33.

I decided to swap the EG33 and all the parts I had been collecting into the Legacy. I purchased a complete 92 SVX LSI with a blown trans from a junkyard, stripped the harness and ecu. Parted out the remaining shell and kept the second complete EG33 as a spare.

I basically started this project on the first of December 2010. I have done a WRX-RS harness merge before, so the wiring wasn't really that bad. In total the harness prep and install took about 2 weeks The goal was to have the car completed and ready to compete at a local rally-x on my birthday Mar 13th/2011. The swap was up and running within a month. I daily drove her for a few weeks sorting out the bugs in Jan and Feb. The car pulls like a freight train, and runs smooth with no issues. It builds rev's quick and is surprisingly fast for an old fat wagon. The sound of the H-6 is amazing, the magnaflow is a little to loud for my tastes......but will work for now.

- 92 EG33 H-6 swap

- 06 STI springs on legacy wagon GR2's (1/2" spacers in the rear)

- 98 Legacy GT front sway bar

- 92 Turbo Legacy wagon rear sway bar

- aluminum sway bar links

- 92 Turbo Legacy wagon front brakes

- 98 Legacy GT wagon full interior

- 06 Impreza rear sub-frame/lateral links

- 04 Forester XT Cat Back

- Magnaflow 14827 muffler

- 0.080" aircraft grade stainless steel skidplate

- Hakka 5's on 15" forester steelies

- rally mud flaps and reinforced inner fenders

- K&N panel filter

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Here are some action shots from the last rally-x event. Overall the car worked very well, and was dealt minimal damage.

_mg_5417.jpg

_mg_5262.jpg

_mg_5396.jpg

If everything comes together over the summer it should be getting a full respray in John Deere Blitz Black and a new set of gravel rally tires.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by EastCoastEJ22T

If everything comes together over the summer it should be getting a full respray in John Deere Blitz Black and a new set of gravel rally tires.

Cheers,

Ian

I sprayed my '77 Mercury Monarch with JDBB... over the last 2 years, it's had every automotive fluid spilled on it, including a ************ton of gas, and it all just wipes away. Also, not even the slightest bit of fading. It really is nearly indestructible paint. Use a 1.4 or 1.5 tip with an HVLP gun, and overlap 50-75% for even coverage. I did 3 REALLY heavy coats, and it took 5qts.

Thanks for the comments and tips.

I also have a '02 CB919 that I sprayed over the winter using JDBB. I used two spray cans over top of a dark dupilcolor primer. It turned out really well, it has a great satin finish.

It needs a fair amount of work over the summer to the body. I am going this weekend to cut out a set of rear quarters from another legacy wagon. I am also on the look out for a outback front bumper skin to go with the GT rear skin I have in the shed already. I have a guy lined up to spray it for me once I get all the body straight.

Had her out for the final rally-x of the season. Its was raining like a bastard. I ended up tearing a fender liner and swamping the air filter on one of the early laps. Had to swap MAFS and limp home. Not the best day,but it was still fun. I am going to reinstall my 04 Forester XT suspension with bigger tires over the summer, she is to low on the STI springs and is taking a beating. Also going to put in a diff-lock switch and a welded rear end. Stay tuned in the fall, she will be back bigger and badder then ever.

_mg_5663.jpg

_mg_5668.jpg

_mg_5670.jpg

And this is how the day ended.

_mg_5687.jpg

I am planning on making some type of snorkel, or at least re-installing the OEM snorkus. I only had the the factory air-box into the fender, so when it tore the fender liner it soaked the filter. Changed the oil and cleaned out the intake and it is running like a top.

I decided to pull out the rear interior and check out the rear strut towers. They are a mess, the lower seam is rusted through in a few spots and there are a few holes in the tower also. I will be taking it to a local "frame guy" to box in the rear towers and weld in a strut brace tying the two side together.

Yeah the EG33 really takes up some space in the engine bay. Its bascially the same size as a DOHC EJ25 with an extra set of cylinders on the front maiking it 1/3 larger. I had to modify the front upper and lower rad support and ditch the OEM hood latch to fit the rad and fan.