Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Detailing: Clay Bar? recommended products.

MilesFox

I am taking my 86 3door to the Don Miller Dealer in Madison 5th annual Subaru Car Show.

I would like to make my car pretty and clean! I have detailed the interior with a vacuum, and mequiar's 'armor all' type product. It did a good job to get the dry look out of the dash plastic, and left a pleasant fruity smell, and this car was very clean inside to begin with.

The exterior, however, needs a good polish. there are a few dings and scratches that i can live with, so long as the rest of the car is shiny!

I will be treating the rubber with siicone spray, as it works good, and i have already done it last year. The rest of the car is now covered in dust from my build and being in a shop environment.

This car has been re-painted, and the celar coat is flaking off the side, and is foggy on the top. I thought of wet sanding some of this and re- clearing. Or at least do that, polish, and wax, and do the clear later when i am finished with body repairs such as rust on the wheel arches and rockers

I know it's not a good idea to wax before painting, but the painting is still on the slate and is not immediate.

So, i just want to make my car show ready. I am asing on what you guys would use, how much of different products for different details, and whether claybar and wax or some spray type product would work best.

I am taking my 86 3door to the Don Miller Dealer in Madison 5th annual Subaru Car Show.

I would like to make my car pretty and clean! I have detailed the interior with a vacuum, and mequiar's 'armor all' type product. It did a good job to get the dry look out of the dash plastic, and left a pleasant fruity smell, and this car was very clean inside to begin with.

The exterior, however, needs a good polish. there are a few dings and scratches that i can live with, so long as the rest of the car is shiny!

I will be treating the rubber with siicone spray, as it works good, and i have already done it last year. The rest of the car is now covered in dust from my build and being in a shop environment.

This car has been re-painted, and the celar coat is flaking off the side, and is foggy on the top. I thought of wet sanding some of this and re- clearing. Or at least do that, polish, and wax, and do the clear later when i am finished with body repairs such as rust on the wheel arches and rockers

I know it's not a good idea to wax before painting, but the painting is still on the slate and is not immediate.

So, i just want to make my car show ready. I am asing on what you guys would use, how much of different products for different details, and whether claybar and wax or some spray type product would work best.

Claybar, paint correction, glaze and wax would be ideal, but it sounds like you're not ready to go balls-deep into this detail. Is that correct?

For a show, you might consider Meguiar's Show Car Glaze or New Car Glaze. It's not a wax, so it won't stay on your car as long, but it will give a good, deep shine. It sounds like that may be the ticket for you, since you wouldn't have to worry about wax being on there during the repaint. If you plan to sand before painting, though, you could probably get away with whatever you want.

Lots of people like the Turtle Wax Ice synthetic wax for its simplicity. I hate it, but some swear by it.

Jacob

If you've never used a clay bar before, prepare to be converted. Your paint will feel brand new to the touch (depending on the condition of your paint). I do it as often as possible, which turns out to be not very often! :lol:

I find that a good clay barring and rain X will make most cars look pretty respectable.

If your serious about concourse type stuff, take a look at Griot's Garage. They are a one-stop shop for car detailing, although everyone has a favorite top shelf brand.

I forget the product offhand, but IPD sells a rubber dye that is superior to Back-to-Black and silicon-based exterior rubber restorer.

If you remove the clearcoat, be prepared to wax the car often (if you want it looking good). That wax coating is the last barrier of protection your paint has... :eek:

I have never used a claybar. Technique and procedures?

this is what i use, page has instructions on how to use it

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11153.do

You do not need to rub hard/apply pressure

the clay removes all the crud from your paint

leaving is super SUPER smooth

you must wax after claying... must must must

it's very impressive how well this stuff works!

subaru-360-sambar-van-rs-impreza1.jpg