Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL oil leak

I'm losing oil and its dripping from the transmission. What's the most likely culprit? How hard is the fix? Also, There is a hose dangling just next to the passenger side front wheel.Where is this coming from and where should it go? Is it possible I have a vacuum hose that has fallen off and needs to be reconnected?

Edited by willd
additional info

There is a hose dangling just next to the passenger side front wheel.Where is this coming from and where should it go? Is it possible I have a vacuum hose that has fallen off and needs to be reconnected?

If you have a feedback carb there is several lines that run between the intake and solenoid valves. The valves are located near the hood hinge on the passenger side. Feedback or not there is a line that enters the cabin a few inches away from there. Though a little far from the wheel the O2 sensor wire is a possible culprit (feedback only). What ever it is should be easy to I.D. and hook back up. Just find the barb thats missing the hose.

the hose is most likely to be from the coolant overflow tank

Ive never seen an EA81 w/the tank unless its been added, and even so the overflow should be on the driver's side.

Dripping right at the back where the drive shaft leaves to head to the rear wheels.

Sounds like the rear tranny seal. It would require you to pull the drive shaft out to replace it. Easy job but if you arent really leaving big spots I wouldnt be too worried about it. Check the level and watch for spots.

Edited by ihscout54
"sounded" rude in reply

good call, i mustve been thinking ea82 while simultaneously not paying close enough attention. thanx for clearing that up

Haha sorry didnt mean to sound rude in my reply! I guess Ive been reading too many of G.D.'s posts. :rolleyes:

were still on topic

a/c is a yes, and I've traced it back to there so pretty sure that's it. The oil is really just a coating and a little wet so I'll follow your advice and keep an eye. I just switched out the rear fuel filter and there seems to be a lot more life in the engine. I'm glad I found this message board. Everyone here has been a lot of help.