Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 2 brat projects finally revealed

introducing my gen 1 brat which ive had a while. mostly straight small amout of rust. it has a 4 inch lift. the maxima alternater swap a custom stainless steel rear bumper, use to have a stainless front bumper but i ruined it. other then that its stock. working on the body work this moth re painting it white. well here she is

IMG_20101124_080412.jpg

IMG_20101124_080450.jpg

IMG_20101124_080423.jpgIMG_20101124_080526.jpg

IMG_20101124_080506.jpg

and here is my 2nd gen brat. bout it a few moths ago from erik, it has a 3 inch sjr lift, ej swap with a 4 speed did a radiator swap from a 98 forester and working on the exhaust today. bodys straight but it had bedliner on it so im removint the bedliner and repainting it black. and doing a 5 speed swap next moth. here she is

IMG_20110614_165453.jpg

IMG_20110614_165447.jpg

IMG_20110614_165509.jpg

IMG_20110614_165519.jpg

still havent finished making the top bracket for the radiator but stainless filler rod will do till i get more time

IMG_20110701_165136.jpg

Those are some nice lookin BRATs you got there. Who supplied the lift for your Gen1 and what size rim/ tire combo are you runnin and do you rub? Did you cut the openings at all? What are your plans for it?

Did you remove the bedliner from the Gen2 and if so how?

Those are some nice lookin BRATs you got there. Who supplied the lift for your Gen1 and what size rim/ tire combo are you runnin and do you rub? Did you cut the openings at all? What are your plans for it?

Did you remove the bedliner from the Gen2 and if so how?

well i bought it from pooparu who got it from someone here on the forum. but their easy to make i made one for my buddies wagon costed about 100 in materials. i run toyota wheels that are drilled to fit subaru 4 lug pattern. i run 205/75r14 they measure to about 26.5 inches tall. and i have not cut any of the fenders. but i did do some modifying to the rear torsion bar because the tire hit. but it was a 5 min fix with a grinder. my plans are to ej it as well and make it my wheeler/daily driver.

i have most of the bedliner on the gen 2 off. i left it in the bed because i like it there. and its still on the roof because i havent gotten to it yet. but im using a scraper that takes to razor blade tips and i pour some acetone on to the area where im currently removing it. it took me half an hour to do the driver door rear pannel and half the tailgate. its been a process though, gotta try not to go to deep with the scraper.

Ok. My only concern on the lift is the rear end, not 100% sure which way I'm going to go. I do NOT want to alter the "shell" as a whole, but don't mind the "bolt on mods" aka "no welding to shell required".

I thought about going EJ but really want to keep it as more of a resto rod and just EJ the Gen2 instead. I have an SPFI set up as well as a Delta Torqer cam ready for my EA when I get around to getting the SPFI pistons and I lost the "balls" when I split the case of the motor I'm going to build.

Other than rubbing the torsion bars, do the tires rub bad while flexing and or turning?

Acetone and a scraper was what I was afraid of when it comes to removing the liner, that sux.

its actually not bad at all to do it unless you were to have alot of creases for example the bed would suck to get it out. u could use a wire wheel atachment on a hand grinder as well but u would have to be more carefull not to go too far down, and on my lift there is no welded pieces to the rear end ill post some pics for you at the end of today. i thought about doing the spfi swap but then i rode in the ej brat and well i like the power and i would rather drive my gen 1 for dd then the gen 2,

I have driven sube101's ej wagon and its a blast the 2.2 swap is way worth it. I have been thinking about doing now but I just gotta gather the parts and $. And moving out of my apartment so I can have a shop to do it in would help alot also haha.