Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spider intake and MPFI

i was wondering, to me lit seems like the spider intake would work with the regular MPFI system, i mean everything, bolt up to where the injectors plug in at their little blocks, and everything else.

because i snagged a spider, non-turbo, intake today at the bone yard for free. if i want i can also go grab the wiring harness and the rest of the system, its off a wrecked 91 XT, 4lug, 5st 4wd car.

i would buy the whole car but the driver fender is pushed up about an inch from the valve cover, and the passenger side is about 2 extra inches away now, so the whole frame is shoved.

or could i pull the ECM, harness, and everything else, its only missing one fuel injector, and plug it into my wagon.

my main question about that is will that ECM plug into the stock system of my wagon, or will i be cutting and splicing?

Thanks for any information.

Shean

119_1916_IMG.jpg

^my new intake

it will be a direct bolt in BUT there are a few items you'll have to move around. One is your TPS if I remember. There are also a few other things but I can't remember. Try doin a searh for the spider intake conversions. As for the ECM, I don't see why it wouldn't plug right in but I don't see if there would be a difference between the two. If you can, get the connectors for the wiring harness that plugs into the parts that go onto the intake itself, there could be a difference between them. One person to ask might be SubaruTex. I know he put a turbo spider intake onto his RX and there were a few electrical things he had to take care of.

then heck, im going to go grab the wiring harness out of the XT tomarrow, and the ECM, as well as the sencors.

also, how do i take out the ECM out of a 91 XT4?? i know the wiring harness runs into the car, but where is the ECM, is it behind the center concole?

also how do i get the harness out? i need everything so i can put it in my 86 wagon.

everything is there, i just need to grab it.

but also, what sencors do i need to convert from carb to MPFI? i know:

MAF

Knock Cencor

but what else?

darn, i dont think i can afford the monkey, so i guess i just settle for the ECM.

so i need:

Mass Air Flow

Throttle Position Sencor

O2, dont i have one on my hitachi carbed EA82?

and i know that i need the dizzy.

what about the knock sencor? is that on the top of the deck for the block? or is that in the ECM in this year?

Thanks,

Shean

yes its a grey interior, and its at AAA by Budget auto wrecking in kent. what do you need, im going back to grab the parts, i can get price quotes for ya.

are you serious about the ECM, dam that sucks, so i have to pull apart the trunk to get it? and what am i soposted to do about the wiring running to it? just pull it with the ECM?, that means pulling out the whole interior huh?

it sucks because its on the top of a scooby wagon so it isnt the easist to get into, i had to crawl in through the sun roof today to grab some stuff and pop the hood.

Its not that hard to get to. Inside the trunk above the spare tire, inbetween the speakers. As for the wires, thats going to be a pain. But I'm not sure you will need them, and I'm not sure you even need the ECU. You have MPFI in your car now, dont you?

The parts I need are the dash (not the cluster), the drivers side door panel and maybe the hood. What color is the exterior?

How did you manage to get the intake for free?

You should have got all the stuff with it.

Sorry, should have read it better, you have a carb. You need everything that was on the intake.

And the ECU, and wiring. And fuel pump. I know theres more, but I cant remember this late at night.

because the guy that i was talking to was being a prick to me, so i told him that i would be back later for the rest, and i would give him $35 for the intake, wiring harness, ECM, and everything else, ifnot then i will tip the freakin car off the other one.

he gave it to me after i pulled it and said that, worked out a deal for the parts too, $40 for everything i need.

they are pricks, you step up, they back down, its nice.

oh, and does the wiring run between the seats, or driver side, passenger side, what? does anyone know before i get there and try to trace this stuff down.

also do i need anything that plugs intot he harness inside the interior.

what i mean is where the harness enters the interior through the firewall, anythign that plugs into it, do i need that stuff, or can i just plug in my stuff from my 86 carb wagon?

Thanks,

Shean

PS, calebz, dont need them, i got my turbo heads sittin in my garage, when i do all this i will also bolt on the turbo. and change over the intake for the turbo settup.

I'm pretty sure the wiring runs along the drivers side. That means removing the rear side panel, the door sill and what ever else is in the way to the firewall. I dont know what connections there are in the dash, I havent been there, yet.

Dont forget to get a price on that stuff for me. Thanks in advance.

well 5 weeks would mean working every day without school, also meaning good weather to work on it in the drive way, and my girlfriend to understand, so i know that its not going to happen.

so ill just wait till later and pick up a GL-10 turbo wagon, and put on the spider intake. rather then try to convert mine.

Just read this thread for the first time, this morning, so I could be a little late with this.

The wiring for the ECU, runs down the PS of the vehicle, under the carpet. Or atleast it does on an XT-6.

The ECU is mounted under the package shelf near the speaker on the PS.

You probally have to pull the heater system out to get to the connectors inside of the car, but don't quote me on that. I was stripping the XT-6 out, so everything came out anyways.

There's a mess of relays, below the radio, 2 of which are your fuel pump and ignition relays.

Best to get a wiring diagram of the XT's system. It will make life simpler for you.